We've released this hotfix to fix one pesky bug that was causing the extension to freeze after a reboot.
- [Fixed] AdGuard for Safari freezes after a reboot #331
We’re releasing this small AdGuard for Safari update to fix a few pesky bugs and update localizations.
- [Added] A confirmation dialog before closing the main window #324
- [Fixed] Settings panel opens at login #204
- [Fixed] AdGuard reappears in the Recent Applications section during filter updates #317
- [Fixed] AdGuard logo stays in the dock even after the app becomes inactive #308
- [Fixed] Crash on closing the main window on macOS 10.15.2 #323
- [Improved] Update Scriptlets and Extended CSS libs
- [Changed] Localizations have been updated
You could call AdGuard v1.6 for Safari a jack of all trades. It has a little bit of everything: bugfixes, UI changes, ad blocking quality improvements. Some would say it robs it of its identity, but the best identity is being a useful update, which it is.
- [Fixed] Cosmetic CSS exception rules break other rules #282
- [Improved] Scriptlets and Redirect resources #237
- [Improved] Conversion between different syntaxes #236
- [Improved] ExtCSS has been updated to v1.1.5 #277
- [Improved] Wildcards (
*) in filtering rules can now match top-level domains #248
- [Changed] Hardware acceleration is now enabled by default with an option to disable it from general settings #299
- [Fixed] Safari freezes for a few seconds during filter updates #168
- [Fixed] Safari launches with a delay #209
- [Fixed] Safari hangs when AdGuard is enabled #257
- [Fixed] An issue with affinity directive #274
- [Added] First run splash screen #243
- [Added] Notification about continuous blocking before closing AdGuard #146
- [Changed] Filters’ icons and "About" tab design #238
- [Changed] "Some AdGuard extensions are disabled” notification is no longer permanent #253
- [Changed] Text on the button to resume paused protection #249
- [Changed] User filter is now displayed among the content blockers #252
- [Fixed] Incorrect user rules count indication #280
- [Fixed] Custom group screen closes after adding a new custom filter #224
- [Fixed] UI slowdown on filters state change #233
- [Fixed] When AdGuard is running in the background it becomes unresponsive indefinitely #284
- [Fixed] Protection status in the app menu is displayed incorrectly #292
- [Added] "Export logs and system info..." option to the status bar menu #272
- [Changed] The application now starts minimized #264
- [Fixed] Settings window opens at login #204
- [Fixed] AdGuard is unresponsive when launched automatically at login #265
- [Fixed] Long response times in extension settings #229
- [Fixed] “Pause AdGuard” button doesn't pause protection #300
- [Improved] Removed unnecessary log entries #269
- [Improved] Handling of the “Content blocker can’t be registered” case #244
- [Improved] Localizations have been updated
How to install AdGuard for Safari
Finally! We are pleased to present you a new, improved, more stable extension for Safari. We have introduced a new “Content Blockers” tab, increased the maximum number of filtering rules, improved the design a bit, fixed a lot of bugs and added special notifications that will keep you in the know whether all blockers are turned on. This is a fairly large update, which, we hope, will help you surf the Internet with even more safety and confidence.
[Added] Dedicated tab “Content blockers” #223
A new tab which is located in the “General” section allows you to monitor the status of filter groups in real time without the need to delve into Safari settings. In addition, it will allow you to quickly find out which filters are ON in a particular group and how many rules are in use.
[Improved] Total number of rules used simultaneously #93
Everything has changed. An improved version of the extension for Safari allows you to use 6 times more rules! Now, the total number of rules that can be used simultaneously is 300.000 (50.000 per group). The improvement in filtering quality because of this change is hard to overestimate. Turn on more filters and don’t hold back!.
[Improved] Support for Catalina OS #172
With this update, everyone using this operating system can breathe easy, because now
AdGuard fully supports Catalina OS.
In this version, we fix several crashes and address other stability issues. Also, AdGuard for Safari now supports scriptlets (this is a new tool to enhance ad blocking quality).
[Added] Scriptlets support #151
Scriptlets are a powerful ad blocking instrument. You can say that a scriptlet is an internal script (a mini-program) that we preinstall to AdGuard for Safari, and then execute that script with the help of filtering rules. Putting it simply, scriptlets allow us to modify how the code of the web page behaves. As for the practical use, this helps in many situations, for example, to circumvent anti-ad blockers.
- [Added] "Verbose logging" option to General settings #174
- [Changed] The app now opens in background at login #141
- [Changed] Notifications for background filters updates have been disabled #195
- [Changed] AdGuard notifications now appear in Safari console only when verbose logging is enabled #148
- [Fixed] Sometimes whitelisted websites are still filtered #98
- [Fixed] AdGuard crashes when you close the settings window with
Cmd + wcommand #182
- [Fixed] Incorrect custom filter rules count in RU locale #183
- [Fixed] Layout issue on About screen after a new update is found #184
- [Fixed] Some crashes of the Mac App Store build #197
It took us a bit more than a month to update AdGuard for Safari from v1.1 to v1.2, and almost half a year to get to v1.3. As you know, if we do something for so long, it's probably going to be worth it. This time is not an exception: on top of multiple smallish but important changes and fixes, we have two big ones. First is the addition of standalone builds, including Beta build. Second is even cooler: AG for Safari now supports advanced ad blocking rules, and this is very unusual for Safari ad blockers (thanks, Apple restrictions). In fact, AdGuard is the only one who does it. Enough talk, update to v1.3 and see for yourself.
[Added] Release and Beta standalone builds for AdGuard for Safari #153
AdGuard for Safari has quickly become a real member of AdGuard product family. And what is a better initiation rite for an app than getting its own beta channel? That's right, you can now get an early access to all AG for Safari updates. How do you do it? You go to GitHub, open the latest beta version there and download the beta archive. Notice that there's another one: a release standalone build (its identical to the App Store one but is distributed via GitHub).
WARNING: Installing either of the standalone builds on top of the App Store version will lose you all current settings, so make sure to save all your custom rules beforehand.
[Added] Advanced blocking rules in Safari #114
As you probably know, Apple is always eager to restrict something when it comes to ad blockers. Safari ad blocking extensions are one of the primary targets, thanks to Apple limitations it is non-trivial for them to support some of the more advanced filtering syntax. In particular, JS and ExtCSS rules. But we managed, and proud to say that AG for Safari will provide an even higher ad blocking quality than before.
- [Added] An option to mark custom filters as "Trusted" to get access to advanced ad blocking rules #156
- [Changed] Safari filter incorporated into Base filter and marked as obsolete #137
- [Fixed] Adding Custom filter is broken #164
- [Fixed] Some JS and CSS rules don't work #144
- [Improved] ExtendedCss has been updated #138
- [Added] "Сheck for updates" button to the standalone build menu #154
- [Changed] Clicking on "About" in the tray menu now opens "About" section of UI #155
- [Changed] Translations have been updated
- [Fixed] AdGuard for Safari window doesn't open from Applications/Launchpad #118
- [Fixed] Custom filter rules count is displayed incorrectly #157
- [Fixed] Filter updates notifications are missing #166
- [Fixed] Filters update notification mentions only one filter #116
- [Fixed] The description of Safari extension #181
- [Fixed] Total rules count is displayed as zero right after the installation #173
- [Improved] Titles of custom filters can be modified now #143