Some users reported critical compatibility issues in AdGuard 7.2, mainly with Emsisoft software. This is a hotfix that will solve these problems, and we also seized the opportunity to update CoreLibs and make some other changes.
You can help us make sure such incidents won't happen again by joining our beta testing program. Millions of AdGuard users will thank you (and you'll even get a beta tester's license key for free)!
- [Fixed] WFP driver incompatibility with Emsisoft software #2957
- [Fixed] E-mail text field issue in Support window #2951
- [Fixed] Issue on the protection startup #2952
- [Fixed] Window buttons tooltip localization #2953
- [Fixed] Couldn't enable the proxy mode #2974
- [Fixed] The port field is always highlighted #2976
- [Fixed] Advanced settings translation #2944
- [Improved] Additionally inform users about required reboot #2946
- [Improved] Added a data limit to the length of sent logs in the installer crash reporter #2968
It’s showtime: let’s welcome AdGuard 7.2 for Windows official release.
For several months, we have been working in full swing on everything - design, performance, compatibility issues with other programs, general filtering improvement and much more. And now it’s time to tell you in detail what the new version is capable of. So let’s take a look at all changes in this update.
[Changed] Installer redesign #2574
When the visual style of your app’s installer doesn’t fit the visual style of the app itself, it’s not good. Same as wearing sandals with socks. So we fixed it!
The new installer looks so good, sometimes we uninstall AdGuard just to look at it once more. Hope you like it just as much as we do! And if not, no big deal: you’re not going to come across it too often, hopefully.
[Added] Installer crash reporting tool #2566
One of the most annoying types of crashes, both for users and developers, is when the app crashes during the installation. Our usual crash reporting tool was useless in such cases. What’s the logical solution? Correct, to give the installer its own reporting tool!
As you can see, it looks almost exactly the same. Nothing will be sent without your consent, and you can also add a comment with the description of the problem to help our developers fix the crash faster.
[Added] “Filter localhost" advanced setting #2830
Some apps, for example antiviruses, may use localhost for interactions between their components. In rare cases it could lead to compatibility problems. Now it’s possible to manage filtering of localhost with the help of the new setting.
Be sure that you know what you’re doing before messing with any of the advanced settings!
You can find this setting among advanced settings. By default, it’s disabled. We advise to try to enable it only if you experience very serious issues, e.g. when web pages don’t load or there’s no internet connection.
- [Fixed] Stealth mode settings reset after the app update #2839
- [Fixed] HTTPS filtering is disabled by default for the newly added applications #2846
- [Improved] Automatic filters detection algorithm #2692
- [Improved] Automatic detection of certificate issues in Firefox #2782
- [Fixed] AdGuard does not filter Iridium browser #2918
- [Fixed] Incompatibility with Epic Browser #2927
- [Improved] Update Assistant and Wot to 4.3.18 and 1.1.16 respectively #2942
- [Fixed] AdGuard closes connections after a reconfiguration #2841
- [Fixed] Connection errors on Windows 10 #2843
- [Improved] WFP/TDI drivers have been updated #2889
- [Changed] Selector color in dark mode #2749
- [Changed] Now separate windows are used for Support and About dialogues #2619
- [Changed] Blocked
stun/turnrequests now have a prefix in the Filtering log #2638
- [Changed] Users can now access Settings, About and Support windows even when protection failed to start #2892
- [Changed] “Use localhost for injections” setting has been renamed to “Intercept TCP connection requests" #2859
- [Fixed] Minor interface issues #2761
- [Fixed] Issues with accessibility for visually impaired users #2682
- [Fixed] Cropped text on the filters update screen #2698
- [Fixed] AdGuard GUI unnecessarily raises Windows platform timer resolution #2734
- [Fixed] Some text is not visible in dark theme #2767
- [Fixed] Date on the filters update screen goes beyond the frame #2849
- [Fixed] Fixed support menu window (UI) #2910
- [Improved] Check for email validation before submitting a support request #2911
- [Fixed] Uninstallation via uninstall shortcut #2916
- [Improved] UI elements should be aligned #2922
- [Changed] Atom browser has been added to the list of apps filtered by default #2688
- [Changed] Localizations have been updated
- [Fixed] Post-installation notification sequence #2750
- [Fixed] Switching between update channels is carried out improperly #2806
- [Fixed] The application doesn’t start after the update #2798
- [Fixed] AdGuard hangs after the update #2856
- [Fixed] Information about old installers is stored in %ProgramData% #2869
- [Fixed] Filter update notification does not disappear on Windows 7 #2873
- [Fixed] AdGuard does not handle alphanumeric versions properly #2876
- [Fixed] Compatibility issues
- [Improved] Handling of filter subscription detections #2517
- [Improved] Translations update
Usually, new stable versions are preceded with a number of betas and take longer than a month to develop. But this one is a bit different, its purpose is mainly to fix some incompatibilities (such as Windscribe VPN), so it makes a lot of sense to release this version as soon as possible. It should also spark interest in Firefox users, as we addressed several certificate-related problems unique to that browser.
- [Fixed] Manual blocker options bug #2677
- [Fixed] AG certificate is not removed on the app uninstall or reinstall #2772
- [Fixed] Certificate gets installed into the wrong system storage #2756
- [Fixed] Compatibility issues with Sophos AV #2710
- [Fixed] Cookies are getting removed even though self-destructing cookies options are disabled #2714
- [Fixed] Windscribe extension compatibility #2703
- [Changed] Domain name is now shown in the filtering log in all cases when it's detected #2691
- [Changed] Translations have been updated #2697
- [Fixed] AdGuard settings respond slowly when Parental Control is enabled #2687
- [Fixed] Release channel label is missing #2695
Finally, we're pretty sure we are done with eliminating bugs that were preventing us from sharing with you all the awesome new stuff that awaits you in the new version of AdGuard for Windows. So, welcome: AdGuard 7.0! From the very start you'll notice the difference, as you'll be greeted by renovated UI design. And the more you use the new version, the better you'll find it, hopefully: brand new CoreLibs filtering engine will make ad blocking better and faster. There are more goodies inside, so let's get to the gist.
[Improved] UI and installer redesign #2574
It is somewhat of a tradition by this point to have a UI redesign with each major AdGuard for Windows version upgrade. This time will not be an exception. AdGuard 7.0 for Windows will look very different from the current familiar version. Have a look for yourself:
Yes, you saw it right: AG for Windows now has a dark theme too! Love it or hate it, it's there, it's optional and you are free to embrace it or ignore it altogether.
The installation wizard follows the trend and gets a redesign too. It only makes sense, because the installer is the first thing new users see when they start their acquaintance with AdGuard, and it better be good! Hope you'll find it an upgrade too:
Everybody knows what CoreLibs is by this point, but we'll remind anyway: it is a filtering engine that drives the whole process of ad blocking in most AdGuard products, AdGuard for Windows included. And with every new version of CL these products become better: the quality of ad blocking increases, they work faster and become more stable. This beta of AdGuard 7.0 for Windows features the most recent of CoreLibs version, which means this is as good as it gets. Well, at least until the next CoreLibs update :) ,In this beta we make an emphasis on UI changes but also fix several crashes. We also took this opportunity to introduce a new userscript — AdGuard Extra.,This is more of a hotfix than a beta. Some Firefox users reported problems with browser freezing. We determined that this behavior was a sequence of hanged connections, which in its turn was caused by a CoreLibs bug. It’s crucial to eliminate all such bugs before we release a stable version (which will be soon), so here we are.
[Added] Automatic crash reports #2298
Sometimes apps crash, and you can do nothing about it. Reasons can be very different, and so are solutions. To be able to investigate every crash individually and find a proper fix to it, we add integration with an automatic crash report system. If AdGuard crashes, upon the next launch you'll be asked if you want to send a crash report.
[Added] AdGuard Extra extension #2648
In some complicated cases the usual approach with filtering rules just doesn’t work. In particular, in some cases of ad blocker circumvention/ad reinjection. So we came up with an alternative solution — a userscript. For those unfamiliar, userscripts are basically mini programs that modify web pages and augment browsing.
AdGuard Extra does it in a way that makes it harder for websites to employ the circumvention/reinjection techniques. AdGuard for Windows is the second AdGuard product to get this addition, we are thrilled to see it in action and read your feedback on it.
- [Changed] Сustom filters do not support powerful modifiers anymore unless allowed explicitly by user #2392
- [Fixed] Custom filters are always displayed like they are up-to-date #2501
- [Fixed] Issues with Firefox certificate #2390
- [Fixed] Сustom apps with Cyrillic symbols in the path are not filtered #2542
- [Improved] The list of URL parameters to strip in the Stealth Mode module has been made customizable #2396
- [Fixed] Service connection issues after hibernate/sleep #2438
- [Added] [Nightly] Filtering log - open url #2599
- [Added] An option to add/remove filters from the General settings screen #2620
- [Added] CoreLibs release version to the About section #2420
- [Changed] AdGuard Assistant extension name #2643
- [Changed] Notification text for the case when protection status is changed via the Assistant #2251
- [Changed] UI changes on Trial period & License screens #2657
- [Fixed] "BlockTypeRuleDescription" wrongly used as a rule in the filtering log #2663
- [Fixed] AdGuard splash screen appears even when
/nosplashis specified #2434
- [Fixed] Date format for Arabic localization #2477
- [Fixed] Filter name is displayed in the Rule column in the filtering log #2634
- [Fixed] License activation window glitch #2628
- [Fixed] Notification's text is out of its bounds #2662
- [Fixed] Rule Editor suggest wrong exclusion for $$ rules #2630
- [Fixed] Rules from disabled filter lists are accounted for in the statistics #2497
- [Fixed] Scrollbar in the settings is too sensitive #2514
- [Fixed] The displayed rules in Filter editor are not refreshed after clicking on the "X" button in the search bar #2451
- [Fixed] The search in the "Settings" view doesn't work properly #2417
- [Fixed] UI window can only be dragged when the left mouse button is pressed #2621
- [Fixed] Update channel resets from "Nightly" to "Release" after settings get reset to defaults #2614
- [Improved] Chinese date format is now used for filters' update time in Chinese localization #2496
- [Improved] Descriptions for Stealth Mode options have been updated #2491
- [Improved] Filtering log now indicates what cookies were modified #2387
- [Improved] Filtering log search syntax has been extended #2651
- [Added] Chromium-based Microsoft Edge to the filtered applications list #2548
- [Changed] Localizations has been updated
- [Changed] Logging has been made less verbose where it's not necessary #2425
- [Changed] The list of apps filtered by default has been updated
- [Changed] Translations have been updated
- [Changed] Unicode marker (BOM) has been removed from the userscript content #2601
- [Fixed] AdGuard crashes
- [Fixed] AdGuard doesn't automatically detect system language #2622
- [Fixed] AdGuard hangs after exiting the sleep mode #2649
- [Fixed] An issue with userscripts updates #2500
- [Fixed] Application update resets Assistant settings #2505
- [Fixed] Compatibility problems
- [Fixed] Empty lines in custom filters are imported as rules #2473
- [Fixed] Error deleting backup file #2582
- [Fixed] Error while doing the update check #2654
- [Fixed] Excluding an app from filtering also excludes all other apps with the same executable name #2453
- [Fixed] Greasy Fork userscripts display an error when checking for updates #2447
- [Fixed] Installer startup delay #2388
- [Fixed] The English language is set by default #2664
- [Fixed] User filter rule editing bug #2584
- [Improved] Additional userscript parameters are now stored when you export settings #2367
- [Improved] AdGuard now checks if the userscript is already installed before downloading it #2406
- [Improved] AdGuard-related system settings (e.g. UI window's size etc.) can now be imported along with the app settings #2393
- [Improved] CoreLibs has been updated
- [Improved] The way to get userscripts' and filter subscriptions' content #2379
This version makes a strong accent on the Networking issues. This doesn’t mean everything else was abandoned, on the contrary, there’s been a lot of ad blocking- and UI-related fixes and improvements, just the network-related fixes happened to be the most important ones.
[Fixed] Unrelated TCP connections get reset when starting AdGuard service #2291
AdGuard needs to reset connections when it starts/restarts its service in order to properly filter them. What AdGuard doesn’t have to do is to reset connections that it is not going to filter anyway. So from now on, it won’t do it, as simple as that.
[Fixed] Avast Free prevents AdGuard from suppressing QUIC #2310
The current way of whitelisting apps from filtering for WFP driver has been extended to TDI driver. It allows to avoid compatibility issues with other software, especially with antivirus software.
[Improved] TLS version has been upgraded #2337
Up to this moment we were using a draft of TLS 1.3 technology ([#2155](https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/2155)), as we always want to be at the cutting edge. Now, as TLS 1.3 standard was officially accepted by IETF, we are happy to say that AdGuard supports the most modern encrypting standards.
[Improved] Popup Blocker has been updated to v2.5 #2295
Popup Blocker is an extension (userscript) that is added to AdGuard by default. As it’s clear from its name, it helps block various popup windows (most of which are all kinds of ads). It’s been around forever, but the new version for the first time features its own UI accessable from “Extensions” settings tab. You can whitelist websites there or disable notifications for certain websites. The blocking capabilities have been improved too, of course.
[Changed] TLS 1.2 is used by default if Avast is detected #2368
As we’ve said earlier, TLS 1.3 is the current standard, but some antiviruses still use v1.2, notably Avast. We would like to completely switch to v1.3 but have to take this into consideration.
[Fixed] Application update resets Assistant settings and restores deleted extensions #2365
There won’t be enough fingers combined on hands of all people in our office to count the number of times users complained about this issue. One of our current priorities is to make the process of updating AdGuard as smooth as possible, and certainly preserving users’ settings is a big step in that direction.
- [Fixed] Duplicate EV certificate messages #2282
- [Fixed] Twitch desktop app is not filtered #2289
- [Fixed] PopupBlocker is not updated alongside AG update #2354
- [Improved] Popup Blocker extension has been updated to v2.5.8 #2351
- [Improved] Custom filters URL parsing #2280
- [Improved] URL exclusion blocking rules are now created with
importantmodifier by default #2305
- [Changed] AdGuard now asks for a reboot after TDI driver update on Windows 7 #2364
- [Fixed] Firefox 64-bit handshake issues with some domains #2347
- [Fixed] QUIC v44 is not blocked properly #2335
- [Improved] AdGuard now checks on installation if the TDI driver is not registered yet #2321
- [Changed] Clickable area for “Close” button for AdGuard notification has been increased on Windows 7 #2319
- [Changed] Highlighting color for the whitelisted requests in Filtering Log #2358
- [Fixed] AdGuard remembers the last displayed settings tab after closing #2317
- [Fixed] The Assistant icon appears in full screen mode on YouTube and Twitch #2309
- [Fixed] Move the assistant icon back to the right corner #2314
- [Fixed] “Hide your referer” checkbox state is not transmitted properly to web reporting tool #2286
- [Fixed] Duplicate “Trial is expiring” message #2287
- [Fixed] AdGuard fails to start service #2339
- [Fixed] Crash on multiple tray clicks right after the installation #2340
- [Fixed] “Service failure” tile and “Trial expired” tile appear simultaneously #2342
- [Fixed] Crash upon opening the Filtering Log #2346
- [Fixed] Update AG icon to high resolution version #2341
- [Improved] Suppress the
AdguardSvcprocess memory leak #2114
- [Fixed] Crash while closing from tray #2252
- [Fixed] Crash after auto-update on the application startup on Windows 7 #2290
- [Fixed] An error while parsing the userscript metadata #2311
- [Improved] A privacy-friendly protocol is now used for the parental control web service #2316
- [Improved] Localizations have been updated, new languages have been added (Slovenian, Czech, Belarusian) #2361
While we are still polishing CoreLibs and are not ready to implement it just yet, we can sweeten the waiting with this new release. New "Nightly" update channel, added TLS1.3 support, improved performance and many more other changes.
[Added] Nightly update channel
The concept of a “Nightly” build is very simple. It literally means “a build that is released at the end of every day”, hence “nightly”. In reality, it may not happen every single day, but rather every 3 or 4 days, but the idea is there. All the latest changes made by developers will be included in the nightly build (yes, including possible bugs — be prepared!). If you feel that beta is not enough for you, and you need to be a step ahead of the rest, this is the choice for you. Just go to AdGuard settings and switch to Nightly update channel.
[Added] TLS1.3 Support (draft 28) #2155
TLS 1.3 is a new version of the cryptographic protocol used to encrypt messages sent via HTTP. It is faster, more secure and overall better than its predecessors. It has not been accepted by IETF as a standard yet, but it is only a matter of time. The process has already started, and we want to be at the forefront, and thus we have already added the TLS 1.3 (draft 28) support. As not everyone supports TLS1.3 yet, there can be problems on some websites potentially, so we added a new advanced setting to switch between TLS versions at will.
[Added] Option to subscribe to a filter by clicking a special link on a webpage #1945
Many filter developers put a special subscription link on their filters' homepage. Now AdGuard is able to detect these links when you click on them and will ask you if you'd like to subscribe to that filter right away. A minor thing, but it will save you just enough of extra clicks to be worthy.
[Added] A notice to inform about closed connections to websites with EV certificate #2015
Some websites have so-called EV (extended validation) certificates — basically, this means that the owner went through a very long and thorough process of validating their identity. In other words, these websites are generally the safest on the web. Filtering these websites is often extensive, as they rarely have ads anyway, but can sometimes lead to conflicts. AdGuard provides an option to disable filtering for such websites, and if it is enabled, a notification will inform you when you visit them for the first time. Clicking on the notification will allow to force filtering on the website anyway.
[Added] Stealth mode options applied to requests added to Filtering log #247
This is something a lot of aspiring filtering rules creators asked for. Knowing which Stealth Mode options affected this or that request is often crucial when working on a new rule. Now you can find it right in the Filtering log when you select a request. For sure, this sounds a little bit nerdy for an average user, but we try to take into account needs of all our users, casual and advanced alike.
[Changed] Default builder has been drastically reworked #1965
Basically, this is the change that caused the build size reduction that was advertised in the introduction. As the app accretes new features over the years and the code mounts up, this becomes more and more relevant. Thanks to this change, now we can add even more!
[Improved] Better support for visually impaired users #2068
AdGuard tries to provide the best online experience for all users alike, and visually impaired users are no exception. Starting with this version, AdGuard menus are much better suited to be read by NVDA Screen Reader and other screen reading programs.
[Improved] Filters update procedure's performance #2211
If you had the misfortune of a habit to update your filters often, you certainly noticed that it took quite a lot of time, as well as installing new filters. We addressed this problem, the situation should change drastically for the better now.
- [Added] Option to subscribe to a filter by clicking a special link on a webpage #1945
- [Fixed] "Block Flash" setting doesn't block Adobe Flash #2058
- [Fixed] AdGuard cannot start protection after installing an update #2033
- [Fixed] Cannot parse CSP from a meta tag #2207
- [Fixed] HTML parser fails on cbc.ca #2221
- [Fixed] Incorrect exception rule is created with Assistant #2265
- [Fixed] Applications manually added to “filtered apps” get removed after an update #2195
- [Improved] ExtendedCss has been updated to version 1.10 #2152
- [Added] New approach to switching the update channel for default userscripts #2177
- [Changed] Common API response format to use for XHR and WS APIs #2228
- [Changed] HTTP headers with an empty value are not ignored from now on #2264
- [Changed] Existing connections of filtered apps are closed now on AG startup #1977
- [Changed] Problem with Github discontinuing TLS 1.0/1.1 support has been addressed #2098
- [Changed] Symantec certificates have been deprecated #1634
- [Changed] TDI, WFP drivers and libs have been updated #2089
- [Fixed] CSP issue at github.com #2151
- [Fixed] Invalid HTTP response header prevents a website from opening #2188
- [Fixed] ipleak.net and other online tests show as if AdGuard does not block WebRTC #1995
- [Fixed] The issue with FIPS security error on license check #1033
- [Improved] Method for detecting untrusted certificates has been improved in accordance with Chrome policy #2171
- [Added] A notice to inform the user about closed connections to websites with EV certificate #2015
- [Added] A "Beautifier" to the Filtering log and userscripts editor #1671
- [Added] Stealth mode options applied to requests added to Filtering log #247
- [Added] Swedish localization #2173
- [Changed] Filtering log — long rules now collapse while in detailed mode #1845
- [Changed] Several localizations updated #2088
- [Changed] More details added to "AdGuard service" description #422
- [Changed] Old links have been replaced with new ones #2102
- [Changed] Parental control password is now hidden while typing #1816
- [Changed] The first screen of the installer #2240
- [Fixed] "Referer" field is now disabled unless "Hide Referer" is enabled #2025
- [Fixed] AdGuard breaks encoding of a custom filter #2232
- [Fixed] Can’t export/import configuration in Spanish localization #2018
- [Fixed] Filter editor bug when pressing backspace #1439
- [Fixed] Filter status change is not applied #2180
- [Fixed] GUI hangs when enabling/disabling filter lists #2036
- [Fixed] Incorrect "time updated" value is shown after filter remove/install #2220
- [Fixed] Incorrect version of custom filter is displayed after an update #2206
- [Fixed] Logo issue #2095
- [Fixed] Parental control module doesn't save sensitivity level choice #2257
- [Fixed] Toast notifications are broken in Windows Insider Preview #2278
- [Fixed] Sometimes app crashes after adding an HTTPS exclusion #2024
- [Fixed] The disclaimer in "About" window is hidden while updating #2165
- [Fixed] The `~` symbol looks like `-` in Parental control settings #2219
- [Fixed] Windows notification center is unavailable after first install #2268
- [Improved] Handling of plural forms in localizations #2046
- [Changed] Digital signature and description #2045
- [Changed] Restrictions on the length of non-script and non-style elements have been removed #2237
- [Changed] Suppress browser cache on a GM storage state change #2258
- [Fixed] "Traditional Chinese" language file title #2190
- [Fixed] `block_third_party_auth` parameter does not work #2073
- [Fixed] App has crashed while being closed from tray #2019
- [Fixed] Application update clears userscripts' storage even for the same update channel #2194
- [Fixed] Cannot export settings in nightly builds #2204
- [Fixed] Crash while closing from the tray #2252
- [Fixed] MS Edge is not filtered in the Windows Insider Preview #2270
- [Fixed] Tab and arrow keys can be used while in the password protected menu #2012
- [Fixed] Userscript's `require` and `resources` parameters are not exported along with with its contents #2212
- [Fixed] Windows notification center is unavailable #2181
- [Fixed] Wrong folder is opened after the export operation is finished #2123
- [Fixed] User script name being corrupted while export settings #2275
- [Improved] `AdGuard.tools` can now be run as a "true" win64 process on 64-bit OS #1809
- [Improved] Do not allow auto-switch update channel within the process of the upgrade #2269
- [Improved] Traditional Chinese translations for filters have been updated #2245
Over the last weeks, we've received several reports about bugs that slithered in the latest release. They turned out to be both moderately important and relatively easy to fix, so we decided to release a new update off-schedule.
[Fixed] "Reinstall certificate" feature does not work in Firefox #2013
While not being the most important feature, the automatic certificate reinstall is more relevant for Firefox-based browsers than for any other ones. This fix eliminates the need to do it manually.
- [Fixed] Connect to 66.ru failed: ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED #1991
- [Fixed] Can't send pictures in desktop Viber app #1990
Hello! The changelog this time is truly gigantic. Every time we thought we were going to release the current version, there was always something we felt was essential to fix, add or improve. How did it turn out?
Let's start with UI changes. Both Filtering log and Filter editor have been seriously redesigned. We need to say a big 'thank you' to everyone who has expressed his or her opinion because few changes depend as heavily on users' feedback as these.
[Changed] Filtering log rework #96
We know for certain that quite a few of our users are actively using Filtering log — both for creating new custom rules and generally knowing what's going on. So why not help them a bit? It has undergone a major renovation. New Filtering log overlaps with Filter editor a great bit, for example, you can create new rules and unblock blocked requests right therefrom.
There are more details to see about each request, too. The request details dialog window is very reminiscent of the Developer tools in Chrome browser. All in all, the new Filtering log is much more than a simple list of which requests are blocked and which are not.
[Changed] Filter editor rework #1293
Filter editor has also changed for the best. The addition of an 'Edit mode' allows replacing the data grid with a text area. This lets you copy/paste/delete many rules at once without having to bother with export/import.
Basic hotkeys are now available, which will speed up the process of working with the filter editor. There are many other quality of life changes, especially to the UI, which will draw your attention as soon as you launch the new version.
[Added] Integration with Windows 10 notifications center #1554
Many Windows 10 users find the Notification center to be helpful when it comes to tracking the activity of their apps. We have finally decided to take advantage of it and integrated AdGuard with the center. AdGuard has a surprisingly decent amount of various notifications. Just to name a few: notifications related to the license/trial period, automatic filter activations, new rules in User filter, Safebrowsing triggers, update checks results, etc. If you use Windows 10, you'll be able to find them all in one place now, thus making it much easier to keep up with what's going on with AdGuard.
[Changed] Network settings moved to a separate settings tab #1404
This one is rather straightforward. Previously, all network settings were crowding inside the 'General settings' tab making it harder to scroll up in down, searching for the one setting you need. Adding a separate first-level tab makes it easier to navigate through the app.
Assistant and other extensions
While not being an integral part of AdGuard for Windows, some extensions (or *userscripts*) have grown over time to become strongly associated with it. And we showed them some love!
A lot has been done in terms of improving AdGuard Assistant, and a lot more is planned for the future, so we decided to allocate it a separate, own GitHub repository: https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardAssistant/
By the way, you may notice that the 'Report website' button now leads to a whole new page. Basically, what you see is a web reporting tool that allows you to easily send us a report on anything from a missed ad to a false positive. More about this later.
What else is done already? The biggest change is the ability to drag the Assistant icon across the page and place it wherever you see fit. Moreover, AdGuard will memorize the position of the Assistant icon for each website separately, so you can really customize it according to your taste and preferences.
The Assistant interface overall has become smaller but retained full functionality compared to earlier versions. There is even one new feature: a switch for toggling the filtering on the website on and off. Previously, the Assistant wasn't shown on websites with disabled filtering, and you had to go to User filter to enable it back.
Oh, and we could use your help with translating the new Assistant. Did you know that anyone can volunteer as a translator? If you feel confident, head right here and find your native language. Don't forget to read through the translator's memo.
[Added] AdGuard PopupBlocker extension v2.1 #1883
For quite a while now, AdGuard works as a userscript manager — you can install any script via AdGuard to use it in any browser. PopupBlocker has always been one of the 'native' userscripts that are installed by default, alongside AdGuard Assistant. Its purpose is clear — to block any unwanted pop-ups.
Previous version (v1.0) was functional but very little beyond that. We have completely redesigned the PopupBlocker. It now has advanced pop-up detection, compared to its predecessor and its alternatives, restores the initial click behavior and is invisible to other scripts. All in all, new PopupBlocker is a solid addition to your online protection suite.
By the way, it is available as a standalone script that can be used on its own with any other userscript manager. To find more information about PopupBlocker, visit its GitHub repository.
Reports web app
[Added] Integration with Reports Web App #1964
When it comes to keeping our filter lists updated, we owe our users a big one. Thanks to their timely reports of missed ads, false positives etc., AdGuard filters are always up-to-date. We want to make the process of reporting a website easy for users and informative for filter developers, that’s why we decided to integrate AdGuard for Windows with a special web reporting tool.
When you see any problem like missed ad or annoyance, click on the Assistant icon and choose “Report this website”. You will be taken to a new page and asked to fill in some information about your AdGuard settings and the nature of the problem. Good thing is that AdGuard pre-fills most of the fields automatically, so most of the job is already done for you :)
We hope this change will strengthen the feedback from our users and allow AdGuard filters to stay at the cutting edge of ad blocking technology.
[Changed] The way AdGuard handles userscripts #1714
A lot of effort has been put into improving (better to say, rethinking) the way AdGuard works with userscripts. This actually has two different aspects:
First, from now on, the communication between AdGuard and Assistant is based on WebSocket, which results in better performance. This is also perfectly applicable to AdGuard Browser extension, when it is working in the integration mode with AdGuard for Windows.
Second, we have taken a whole complex of measures that allow for any external userscripts that you install via AdGuard to show higher speed and execution stability.
Other important changes
[Added] Settings export/import #1405
A lot of users were asking for this, and finally we deliver. Now you can save your settings configuration into a file and then use it to set up AdGuard on another machine exactly how you prefer. Another implication of this is to quickly switch between different settings profiles without having to feverishly click through a dozen of tabs and checkboxes.
[Improved] A complete "Exit AdGuard" functionality was added #1509
Now users have a choice between closing AdGuard as they usually do, and closing it completely. That means closing the Windows service as well as UI, and when UI is getting started again, the service will start as well (you may be asked for the admin privileges, though).
[Added] An option to create custom filters not backed with a file #1669
In addition to the usual option of adding any list by URL or loading it from a local file, you can now create independent new filters from scratch. It is possible to create several such filters, give each of them their own name and fill with any rules. As a result, you can create a set of specified filters which can be separately enabled, disabled and edited.
- [Added] "Block third-party authorization header" Stealth Mode option #698
- [Added] "Pure URL" functionality has been added to the Stealth Mode #356
- [Added] `$app` modifier support #1396
- [Added] $extension modifier #1542
- [Added] An option to hide Java and Flash support #1064
- [Changed] $webrtc rules are being ignored now #1776
- [Changed] Synchronous XMLHttpRequest got rid of #1503
- [Changed] The $important modifier is now applied to rules created by enabling/disabling filtering via Assistant #1924
- [Changed] The behavior of the `~third-party` modifier #1564
- [Changed] The range of $$ rules was increased #1464
- [Changed] The script is not getting removed anymore if there is an $empty modifier in a rule #1789
- [Changed] X-Requested-With is being used now to detect object-subrequest content type #1435
- [Fixed] $replace rules are applied to HTTPS sites even when HTTPS filtering is disabled #1752
- [Fixed] Adguard can not recognize :empty+div selector #1687
- [Fixed] Automatic update for disabled filters #1445
- [Fixed] Chromium is not filtered by default #1956
- [Fixed] Content filtering exception rules behavior #1560
- [Fixed] content-length duplicate header issue #1982
- [Fixed] Cosmetic filters are not applied to the pages whitelisted by a `$document` exception anymore #1574
- [Fixed] Duplicate filtering rules #1686
- [Fixed] Error while parsing filtering rules of a particular type #1558
- [Fixed] No filtering with TCP Fast Open enabled in Firefox Nightly #1867
- [Fixed] Notification API isn't blocked properly #1706
- [Improved] "ExtendedCss" module has been upgraded to v1.0.8 #1823
- [Improved] GM_openInTab to handle data URLs in chrome #1971
- [Improved] Multiple filters can be automatically enabled as language-specific at once now #1758
- [Improved] The way `$network` modifier works #1645
- [Added] Brotli support #1545
- [Changed] HasConflictWithWpf flag values have been updated #1976
- [Changed] SHA1 deprecation process is finished #1325
- [Changed] WoSign and StartCom Certificates have been completely deprecated #1359
- [Changed] XMLHttpRequest in the API is now protected #1434
- [Fixed] A page is broken in IE #1591
- [Fixed] AdGuard 6.2.390 on Windows 10 stops browsing until user kill the process #1901
- [Fixed] AdGuard breaks local HTTPS connections #1896
- [Fixed] Adguard cannot filter Edge HTTPS traffic when TCP Fast Open is turned ON #1093
- [Fixed] Adguard cannot handle huge chunks properly #1772
- [Fixed] Disabling HTTPS filtering breaks local.adguard.com #1792
- [Fixed] DNS is unreachable when using AdGuard #1918
- [Fixed] Dropbox CSP messes with Adguard scripts #1678
- [Fixed] HTTPS filtering on dropbox.com does not work sometimes #1902
- [Fixed] Impossible to set custom IP in Stealth Mode #1828
- [Fixed] Incorrect encoding was being used for the preview purposes #1741
- [Fixed] Invalid gzip causes connection to hang #1817
- [Fixed] Requests blocked when HTTPS filtering is disabled aren't present in the filtering log #1639
- [Fixed] Several userscripts do not work when installed via Adguard #1562
- [Fixed] SHA-1 intermediate issue #1702
- [Fixed] SHA-1 intermediate issue #1702
- [Fixed] Stealth mode settings may break filtering completely #1693
- [Fixed] Warnings about synchronous requests #1688
- [Fixed] Wrong ciphers order #1884
- [Improved] Adguard doesn't recognize userscript updates when the version string is too long #1541
- [Improved] Custom filter updates are being validated now #1765
- [Improved] The strong key exchange within secure connections has been enforced #1728
- [Improved] WebRTC detection #1831
- [Added] "Adguard service" description #422
- [Added] "Start time" and "Time" fields in the log records #1677
- [Added] "Storage" and "Reinstall" buttons on “Extensions” screen #1893
- [Added] A "Preview" feature for the blocked requests in Filtering Log #1695
- [Added] A "Reset to defaults" button to the Extensions settings #1473
- [Added] A loader is shown while Filter Editor is being prepared to be opened #1638
- [Added] A switch to change the filter list display mode #574
- [Added] A tooltip has been added to the "Support" window #1432
- [Added] A warning in the "Filtered apps" section when Adguard is in the proxy mode #942
- [Added] An option to disable all Adguard popup notifications #1630
- [Added] An option to disable pop-up text in the Filter editor #1082
- [Added] Filtering log export feature #1662
- [Added] Filtering log records context menu #1668
- [Added] Search function was added to the preview textarea #1694
- [Changed] "Applied rules" appearance #1676
- [Changed] All elements in Filter Editor UI are now shown as disabled until rules are fully loaded #1638
- [Changed] Dutch localization was updated #1663
- [Changed] Expiration date in the 'License' section has been made more distinguishable #674
- [Changed] Filtering log scrolling behavior #1791
- [Changed] Graying out the disabled modules has been uniformed across the app #1827
- [Changed] Hebrew localization was updated #1548
- [Changed] Interface has been optimized for screen readers #352
- [Changed] License key symbols in the 'License' section are hidden now #627
- [Changed] More details have been added to the "Adguard service" description #422
- [Changed] Prevent closing the editor after editing a userscript #1632
- [Changed] Program logo and "About" screen have been updated #1812
- [Changed] Resizing the details pane was made more convenient #1675
- [Changed] The EULA has been updated #1824
- [Changed] The Filter Editor does not allow switching to other filters now when you're in the edit mode #1656
- [Changed] The link to custom rules creation manual is added to the Filter editor #1410
- [Changed] The maximum number of records in the Filtering Log was limited #1723
- [Changed] UDP/TCP and HTTPS tunnel connections moved to the "Other" section of the filtering log #1670
- [Changed] Update channel is now set to "Beta" if you install or update AdGuard to beta version #196
- [Changed] Values in the details panel are now selectable #1667
- [Fixed] "Connection" type records issues #1674
- [Fixed] "Support" contact form is missing #1753
- [Fixed] A “new line” symbol is added after copying a rule in Filter editor #1878
- [Fixed] An incorrect message is shown upon checking for the updates w/o an Internet connection #1552
- [Fixed] Can't use 0 as a value for self-destructing cookies setting #1642
- [Fixed] Cancel button is missing #1899
- [Fixed] Cannot close "validation error" dialog when editing a userscript #1894
- [Fixed] Changing Advanced settings does not lead to network filtering restart #1800
- [Fixed] Closing the right pane for a blocked request in Filtering Log does not highlight the entry #1729
- [Fixed] Complete exit functionality bugs #1826
- [Fixed] Crash after exiting Adguard via the tray menu #1697
- [Fixed] Ctrl + Z does not work in any input field #1960
- [Fixed] Default filters could have been deleted in filter editor #1786
- [Fixed] Disabling HTTPS filtering leads to duplicate entries in the filtering log #1793
- [Fixed] Facebook response preview is broken as preview tool does not support Brotli #1657
- [Fixed] Filter editor bug #1969
- [Fixed] Filtering log and Filter editor windows have different styles #1920
- [Fixed] Filtering log search does not show UDP requests #1658
- [Fixed] Filters content is being written to the application log #1703
- [Fixed] GUI can't start after changing language #1664
- [Fixed] Log export does not work #1900
- [Fixed] New filtering log does not display removed elements #1660
- [Fixed] Remote address bug in Filtering log #1852
- [Fixed] Search does not work in userscript editor #1814
- [Fixed] Search tooltip bug #1830
- [Fixed] Stealth Mode tooltip bugs #1520
- [Fixed] There was a sequence of actions that could lead to the removal of User filter #1787
- [Fixed] UI crash when disabling the service with opened Filtering Log #1751
- [Fixed] User filter is always empty when "Filter editor" is opened for the first time #1970
- [Fixed] User Filters search doesn't work in 'advanced editor' mode #1821
- [Fixed] User installed disabled filters are enabled after checking for updates #1692
- [Improved] More filter editor tweaks and fixes #1750, #1778
- [Improved] Search criteria in the filtering log were extended #1513
- [Improved] Speed of searching in Filter Editor and Filtering Log was increased #1725
- [Improved] Support for the PT-PT localization has been added #1640
- [Added] Adguard French filter #1596
- [Changed] 'Adblock Protector' added to the list of filters available by default #1584
- [Changed] Bandizip app has been added to the list of apps filtered by default #1680
- [Changed] Localizations have been updated
- [Changed] Several browsers and apps were added to the list of apps filtered by default #1182, #1563
- [Changed] Spotify app has been added to the list of apps filtered by default #1904
- [Changed] Swing browser has been added to the list of apps filtered by default #1769
- [Changed] The list of HTTPS exclusions has been updated
- [Changed] Whale browser has been added to the list of apps filtered by default #1770
- [Fixed] "Add application" tool in “Filtered Apps” can't detect installed Viber #1559
- [Fixed] A generic hiding rule in third-party filter is not being applied #1696
- [Fixed] Adguard crashes when you block a request in the filtering log #1868
- [Fixed] Assistant settings are reset with the 3.0 -> 4.0 update #1738
- [Fixed] Problematic userscript prevents others from working #1962
- [Fixed] Several third-party userscripts compatibility issues
- [Fixed] Stealth mode blocks Bitrix24 calls #1685
- [Fixed] Typos #1825
- [Fixed] Userscript is not injected #1958
- [Improved] Data is now being preprocessed before the import/export #1691
- [Improved] Log columns were reordered #1779
- [Improved] The log file is now being validated before importing #1722
- [Improved] Version check algorithm for filters added by URL #1431
This update might not be the biggest one, in a sense it doesn't feature any revolutionary additions or the immense number of changes. But it's surely a unique one, and it's because it is by far the most influenced by the user feedback. We sincerely thank everyone who has helped us!
It is super important for two big reasons, both concern networking/compatibility: we have *finally* fixed the compatibility issue with KIS/ESET and, also, we've fixed a certificate issue in modern Chrome versions (59+). Details below.
[Fixed] Compatibility with KIS/ESET #1565
Adguard used to have compatibility issues with such antivirus software like Kaspersky and ESET. Users had to seek for compromises: disabling SSL scanning in antivirus, disabling WFP driver or even HTTPS filtering in Adguard. The core of the problem was the WFP network driver incompatibility, and we had had plans to develop a new driver for what now seems like an eternity.
We'd already claimed to have this fixed in the previous releases, but things turned out to be more complicated. We've come through countless iterations, test builds, and driver updates, and now we are confident enough to say that this time the problem is fixed for real. No more BSODs and other funny stuff when you run Adguard alongside with KIS or ESET.
And again, we can't thank enough everyone who was willing to cope with raw test builds and provided invaluable feedback in order to help us make things right. Just look at the task - it is blowing up with comments. We are happy to have such users, you are awesome.
[Fixed] Compatibility with Chrome 59+ #1597
With big news which WFP driver compatibility fix is it could be easy to neglect other changes. And that would be so wrong! This fix, in particular, is of utmost importance. It ensures Adguard will run without problems on modern (v59+) Chrome versions. Otherwise, there would be troubles with Adguard certificate validation.
- [Changed] The search criteria in the filtering log were extended #1513
- [Changed] Connections are not allowed if DH1024 is in use #1616
- [Changed] The default HTTPS exclusions list has been updated #1618
- [Fixed] Adguard Service keeps downloading data after closing the browser #1599
- [Fixed] An error encountered when adding a filter by URL #1583
UPD: hotfix update 6.1.314 brings a fix for the bug #1569, messing with filtering when HTTPS filtering is disabled.
It was quite a while since the last Adguard for Windows release. And there are other reasons for that apart from the Christmas/New Year holidays: we'd been extensively testing the new network driver before, finally, we felt ready to include it in the new release version. But what is there for me in this network driver, you might ask? Well, it fixes an old compatibility issue with several antivirus programs. For sure, there are other fixes and changes as well, and you will find the whole list below.
You can also find all relevant information about this release (and discuss it) in our blog.
[Improved] WFP driver was updated to fix compatibility issues with KIS and ESET #1497
Previously, it was not unusual at all that Adguard would have compatibility issues with some antiviruses, and KIS and ESET being the most common ones. The workarounds existed but were far from ideal - you had had to sacrifice some parts of functionality on either Adguard or antivirus side. With updated WFP driver these conflicts will be no more, allowing users to run Adguard alongside with KIS and ESET.
[Improved] The way we respond to HTTP protocol violation #1452
It would take too long to explain technical nuances, but effectively this fixes the problem some users might have come across before: when you try to open a page and it is downloaded as a file instead.
- [Fixed] $popup rule bug #1504
- [Fixed] QUIC protocol issue when KIS is installed #1482
- [Fixed] HideUserSearch option breaks the 'maximize' button graphics #1536
- [Fixed] 'Disable Fast Open' setting doesn't work in latest Insider Preview builds #1487
- [Fixed] Several issues in Firefox with the default value of 'Hide you user-agent' setting #1493
- [Added] $network basic rules modifier to solve the issue with loading ads through WebRTC #1297
- [Changed] Extra Steam executables removed from the list of filtered apps #1468
- [Fixed] Invalid executable for CentBrower #1453
- [Fixed] $replace rules aren't applied to .m3u8 files content #1428
- [Fixed] Regular expressions with $ aren't processed properly #1475
- [Improved] Cosmetic exception rules compilation speed #1533
- [Added] A new advanced settings property to change the injection method #1492
- [Changed] Version history link in about section #1471
- [Changed] Parental Control password protection is made separate for different Windows user accounts #1480
This version should be considered as a revision of the Adguard for Windows 6.1 release. This is why you will not spot many 'major' changes - mostly bugfixes, small changes, improvements etc. More drastic changes will come eventually with 6.2 version.
[Added] $important modifier #1312
This new addition is an important one (no pun intended), but mostly relevant for creators of custom filter rules. With it's help you can give certain rules higher priority.
- [Changed] Several apps and browsers added to the list of apps filtered by default #1230, #1236, #1274, #1280, #1344, #1347
- [Fixed] Inconsistent $replace result #1358
- [Fixed] Adguard now filters pages with Content-Type:application/xhtml #571
- [Fixed] HTTPS exceptions do not cover subdomains #1317
- [Fixed] $replace rule can now be applied along with the other rules #640
- [Improved] Filters update check period is now customizable #941
- [Improved] Adguard now can partially block encrypted ads without decrypting SSL protocol (if HTTPs filtering is disabled) #1233
- [Changed] Switched to the DigiCert certificate #1268
- [Changed] WoSign and StartCom certificates became unstrusted #1359
- [Changed] Proxy mode will use IPv4 address when it is available from now on #1323
- [Fixed] CSP is now handled in meta tags #797
- [Fixed] Issue with invalid HTML #1222
- [Fixed] "iframe" elements are not removed from the page code #1245
- [Fixed] Adguard.Tools.exe heavy CPU load issue #1229
- [Fixed] Opera dev ad blocker compatibility issue with Adguard Assistant #1173
- [Fixed] Opera built-in VPN compatibility issue #1116
- [Fixed] Certificate validity check order #1277
- [Fixed] SSL exceptions aren't deleted on network API reinit #1304
- [Fixed] Adguard code is injected into a non-HTML document #1316
- [Fixed] WFP driver impacting DPC latency #1156
- [Fixed] $empty modifier behaviour #1360
- [Fixed] Stealth mode ignores $stealth exception #1362
- [Fixed] Inability to apply inline style #1331
- [Fixed] An empty 'style' tag is added even if there's no element hiding #1336
- [Fixed] $replace modifier breaks content charset #1378
- [Fixed] Adsbypasser and some other userscripts do not work properly #1363
- [Fixed] "Enable safe search" function in Parental Control breaks Google #1383
- [Fixed] Adguard doesn't filter HTTPs when Fiddler is switched on and in "decode https" mode #1372
- [Fixed] Adding a URL to temporary HTTPs exceptions is suppressed now when connection is closed from the server side #1341
- [Fixed] 'access-control-allow-origin' header console error #1381
- [Improved] HTTPS is now used for safebrowsing service requests #1386
- [Improved] Encrypted connection is used now with api.adguard.com #1369
- [Improved] Adguard styles are now protected from removing #1272
- [Improved] Content type detection #1264
- [Improved] Content injection algorithm was reworked #1099, #1305
[Changed] WOT extension is now disabled by default #1364
Recently, an article was posted in one of the popular technology blogs, claiming that Web of Trust is selling its users' browser history to third-parties. WoT extension is preinstalled in Adguard for Windows, and although it was developed by us and is not sending any of your data to WoT, we can not leave this without a reponse. For this reason we make WoT extension disabled by default in Adguard for Windows. You can read our official stance regarding these news in our blog.
- [Changed] You can now completely remove WoT extension #1364
- [Changed] Unnecessary text in 'Import rules' dialog window is removed #1349
- [Fixed] Filter's name isn't copied with the rest of request details #1318
- [Fixed] Button size issue on the last step of Adguard wizard #1352
- [Fixed] Adguard crashes if you try to close UI while editing a filter rule #1258
- [Fixed] $replace rule is shown as applied to images #1392
- [Fixed] Deleted records from HTTPs exclusions are not restored on app update anymore #904
Many other minor fixes and changes. The full list can be found in descriptions to prior beta versions in our repository on GitHub.
Briefly about new Adguard for Windows version: Stealth Mode got new useful options, userscripts work better now, ad blocking became more advanced and our network drivers - more stable. All the details are below.
[Added] "Self destructing cookies" option in Stealth Mode #678
Previously Stealth Mode module provided only the option to completely block third-party cookies. Now you will not only have an ability to differ first- and third-party cookies, but also the ability to set the exact time which cookies will be kept alive for. Important note: you can still block cookies alltogether, just set the keep-alive time to '0'.
[Added] Added an option to block "Browser location API" #139
[Added] Added an option to block "Browser notifications API" #1121
Normally browsers may detect your location and use this information to prioritize specific search results or make other various suggestions based on it. With browser location API blocked this will be impossible.
Blocking browser notifications API feature works somewhat similar, but rather prevents browser from showing things like news or social media frames that pop-up in the corner of your browser.
[Improved] Content injection algorithm #1099
We completely redesigned content injection algorithm. First and foremost, this should solve issues with scripts that start when the page opens, resolve some of the known conflicts (AdsBypasser, YouTube+), and also optimize usage of scripts and ad blocker styles. Overall, a technical, but very important change.
[Added] Userscripts handling #1172
We adopted a new way of handling user.js (userscript) files. Now Adguard will automatically detect when user.js file was processed. If it is a valid userscript, Adguard will open a dialog window, offering user to install it. Of course, this setting will be optional and possible to turn off through settings.
We continue to make Adguard more easily accessible for users all over the world. This time we add two more new localizations and fix some mistakes in already existing ones.
[Improved] Network SDK was updated #1179
In reality, this implies many various fixes that concern our network drivers. It would be hard to list them all here, and most of them are rather technical anyway. For example, the WFP driver - Windows Defender compatibility issue was addressed.
[Added] Support for extended selectors #1225
This is a technical term, but what hides behind it? With extended selectors support, we can much more easily create some rules that were very, very hard to create earlier. Notably, this concerns rules required to block such things as 'Sponsored posts' on Facebook.
[Added] Extended CSS support https://github.com/AdguardTeam/ExtendedCss
This is a very important addition in terms of future (and present) possibilities that it opens for ad blocking. Extended CSS is a module for applying CSS styles with extended selection properties. Basically, it means that we will be able to select and, therefore, block some elements that we would not be able to block otherwise. Currently we support following pseudo-classes: -ext-has (:has), -ext-contains (:contains), [-ext-matches-css (:matches-css).
Dozens of minor fixes and improvements.
A hotfix after last weeks release. Previously there turned out to be several problems, including router page loading problem and other. These bugs are fixed with this version.
- [Fixed] Indefinite loading of router page #1042
- [Fixed] Rare problem when Adguard crashes after clicking on tray menu icon #1045
- [Fixed] Adguard will not crash any more if you switch tabs while have active search on 'Settings' screen #1043
- [Fixed] Adguard now detects HTML correctly for all websites if there is an xml declaration at the document start #1011
Good news, everyone! We haven't seen any new bugs since the latest beta version, and it means nothing else but the new stable release is arriving. During the last couple of months that had passed since the 6.0 release we were able to track quite a lot of bugs and defects, which were crucial to fix. So we concentrated on them for a while. Finally, everything seems to be fixed and we are ready to turn on the autoupdate for all our users who still use Adgguard 5.10. We were looking forward to this moment! Even if you were already using Adguard 6 and you are not as excited by these news, you should be. This release means we can finally put all our efforts into implementing cool new features you might have or have not seen in our [roadmap]. In case you missed last beta releases and respective release notes, you can catch up and read about all the fixes and additions below. Most important of them, as usual, are described in detail.
- [Changed] Adguard uses native-style tray menu now #1006
- [Changed] Adguard window is now opened with a single click on tray menu #1030
- [Fixed] 'About' window content is not flickering anymore #954
- [Fixed] Empty strings are now removed when importing user filter #973
- [Fixed] Error previously encountered while installing a userstyle #934
- [Improved] Proxy name validator now recognizes domain names and not only IP addresses #931
- [Improved] Added $stealth modifier that disables Stealth Mode for the specified website #339 As we already mentioned in our blog, separate whitelist for Stealth Mode is on our roadmap. It is a much needed feature for anyone who actively uses Stealth Mode. We are not quite there yet, but we made a big step in the right direction by implementing $stealth modifier. It works similar to all other modifiers, just add it to any exception rule and it will disable Stealth Mode for that website specifically, even if the module itself is enabled. For example: @@||example.org^$stealth You can find more information about rules formatting on our website: [adguard.com/filterrules.html](adguard.com/filterrules.html)
- [Changed] Facebook windows app added to default filtered apps list #974
- [Changed] $replace rules should now have higher priority than other basic rules #1023
- [Fixed] Adguard does not try to filter data: URLs any more #1007
- [Fixed] $domain modifier now does work for blocking WebSocket connections #998
- [Fixed] Adguard now doesn't ignore tag href attribute while constructing absolute URL #978
- [Fixed] Error previously encountered while parsing a style tag with embedded svg #977
- [Fixed] Language-specific filters are now detected properly from users keyboard layouts #401
- [Improved] Adguard now can process websites names in punycode when adding them to HTTPS exclusions #962
Languages and Translations
- [Added] Support for complex language codes #808 We have completely reworked applications localization system. This allowed us to significantly increase number of languages we can potentially support (this mostly concerns various dialects, alternative alphabets etc.).
- [Added] Croatian language
- [Improved] HTML content detection #855 Content type detection was significantly improved. This effectively means that Adguard will not interfere with those types of traffic which do not require filtering, decreasing the number of potential conflicts.
- [Fixed] Web interface of TP-Link router is broken #844 Some of our users encountered problems with accessing TP-Link routers' interface with enabled Adguard. Upon investigating this issue we discovered a serious issue with WFP driver which resulted in problems with displaying some websites. As a result, we have improved communication with some specific web-servers.
- [Added] Support for HTTP method REPORT #1020
- [Fixed] Adguard can now detect HTML if there is an xml declaration at the document start #1011
- [Fixed] ESET compatibility issue when Chrome browser would randomly hang #899
- [Fixed] Data is now read to end after blocking a POST request #916
- [Fixed] Issue with unexpected connection reset with TDI driver #1025
- [Fixed] Blank dialog while updating from 5.10 to 6.0 #924
- [Fixed] CMD window is no more shown on Adguard update #935
- [Fixed] An issue when update errors were shown as valid updates in tray notification #993
- [Fixed] Adguard now detects Chrome in 'Filtered apps' on Windows 10 insider build #972
[Fixed] Issues in Windows 10 Insider Preview build caused by SHA-1 certificate used for network drivers. https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/915
Let us elaborate a little on this one, since this change stands out as the most important one in this update. Recently we have noticed, with the help of our beta testers, that SHA-1 certificate previously used to sign our network drivers, was in a process of being deprecated. Effectively this means that users of Windows 10 Insider Preview were not able to enable Adguard protection. We have signed our network drivers with new certificates, and now all users will be able to run Adguard without any problems.
- [Fixed] 'Upgrade license' notification is no more shown for licenses activated with beta key https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/905
- [Fixed] Bug when some apps wouldn't show among 'filtered apps' until they are started https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/913
- [Fixed] Latest update check time is not being updated https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/862
- [Fixed] Pressing Alt-F4 while in Adguard tray menu will no longer result in closing the main window https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/900
- [Fixed] K-Meleon browser is now correctly detected as installed https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/894
- [Fixed] Unnecessary language-specific filter activation https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/863
- [Fixed] WebRTC will no more be blocked for applications which are not in the Filtered Apps list https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/871
- [Improved] Default HTTPs exclusions list was significantly updated https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/912
- [Changed] Auto update mechanism https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/835
- [Fixed] Adguard beta won't update after clicking on 'Install' button in 'About' section https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/648
- [Fixed] MSI shows "remove settings" dialog on uninstall. https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/858
- [Fixed] WFP driver is now uninstalled correctly on Win 10 x64 https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/854
Languages and translations
- [Fixed] "User filter" is not translated to Polish https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/824
- [Fixed] AG code is no more injected into <"noscript"> https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/907
https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/883, https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/852, https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/839, https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/873, https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/868, https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/851, https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/898, https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/848
A new update to the recently released Adguard 6 is available. It mostly contains fixes to some minor bugs we missed during the beta test. You are able to update to the latest version from your client.
- [Fixed] WFP driver now can be used on Windows 7 x86 https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/850
- [Changed] 'Thank you' page removed from Adguard https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/842
- [Fixed] Validation of Parental Control whitelist/blacklist domains is now working correctly https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/830
- [Fixed] Reset settings windows title now has a name separate from its description https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/826
- [Fixed] "User filter" translations are fixed and completed https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/824
- [Fixed] Bug encountered when setting TDI driver as default on Windows 7 https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/788
- [Improved] Tools for problem monitoring during installation process https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/832
It is finally time to release Adguard 6! We have put a lot of time and effort into its development, and you will see this reflected in the release notes. A lot was added, even more was improved compared to Adguard 5. New version became much more intuitive in use, functional and diverse.
- Adguard user interface was completely redesigned. It will now have modern tile design. Compared to Adguard 5, it is much better structurized and more visually attractive.
- Adguard was translated into many new languages. That includes UI, Adguard Assistant and filter descriptions etc.
- Window positions are now memorized and restored after program restart.
- Tray menu is reworked, improved accessibility of different options through tray.
- New versions interface is much more friendly to people with visual impairment. For example, now Windows screen reader sees almost all the elements of the program – tips, tuning, and more.
- UI performance and boot speed were significantly optimized, memory consumption was greatly reduced. You can find respective graphs in blog (see the link below).
- Now with the first launch of Adguard a tutorial will be shown, familiarizing user with Adguard and quickly introducing its capabilities.
- Updating to new version from Adguard 5 is now possible and will not lose any settings.
- New possibility to change update channel to 'Beta' and receive all beta updates, including Assistant and other extensions. Useful for those, who wants to always be the first to know about all the new features.
- A new module was added - Stealth Mode. Back in previous versions we only had a filter against spyware, counters and trackers to protect your online privacy. Stealth Mode serves to protect your online privacy in various ways, including blocking of third-party cookies, hiding IP address and many, many more.
- Improved support for filtered apps. Adguard now automatically finds software installed on your computer and offers to filter its traffic, this includes modern UI applications. Of course, you still can add any browser (or any app) manually. The mechanism for adding new applications to Adguard itself is completely redesigned too, and now it is easy for any user to cope with it.
- Filter editor and Filtering log were drastically changed. You will find both fresh design and improved functionality. In the Filter editor, you can see the rules created by the Adguard Assistant, that is, all the rules that you added manually. Filtering Log displays all the requests sent.
- You can now use new search feature to search the whole program for any keyword by entering it in the text field in the top right corner. We believe this is one of the most useful innovations. Now you do not have to go through the entire section of the program in search for the information you need.
- Now it is possible to subscribe to any filter by URL or by choosing path to a local file, and Adguard will automatically watch for changes.
- Extensions were allocated to a separate module which can be enabled/disabled as a whole.
- Userscripts security was significantly improved.
- Plentiful additions and improvements to filtering process were made, notably introducing support for new rules modifiers and improving filtering speed.
- Many more improvements, all of which are impossible to include in these release notes.
You can read about new version in detail in our blog: https://blog.adguard.com/en/adguard-news/adguard-6-official-release.html
- Added Microsoft Edge browser support
- Improved userscripts API speed
- Fixed a bug with saving Adguard Assistant settings
- Userscripts API usage is now restricted by @grant metatag
- Fixed Adguard Assistant work in Opera 12
- Fixed certificate automatic import in Opera 12
- Fixed some issues with CSS/JS injection in the pages with invalid HTML code
- Fixed issues with SSL interceptor (connections reset for servers working with TLS 1.0 only)
- Fixed Logjam (Adguard now does not filter connections with weak DH primes)
- Fixed a bug with update cleaning Adguard's start menu folder
- Fixed SSL-filtering in old browsers (IE6, IE7)
Important notice about Logjam. We do not protect you from it, just ignore such connections. Browser decides what to do with it further. So make sure you are using the latest version of your browser.
You can discuss the latest version in our blog: here.
- Important: Adguard extensions API is now protected from misuse
- Added notification about added and removed user rules
- Web of Trust extension is updated - fixed an issue when website could hide reputation warning
- + Added server SSL certificates revocation check (OCSP)
- Fixed compatibility issue with BitDefender and Adguard's WFP driver
- Fixed safe search for Yandex
- Minor UI fixes
You can discuss the latest version in our blog: here.
- SSL private key is no more pinned to your computer hardware. Every clean installation you get fresh private key
- We now better handle TLS 1.2 connections
- All certs and private keys are now encrypted and stored in a single file
You can discuss the latest version in our blog.
- Added Spartan browser support
- Significantly improved filtering speed of some heavy HTML pages
- Fixed possible app crash (in case of logging error)
- Fixed a bug with checking existence of AG certificate in Firefox-based browsers. Now if AG does not detect our cert it disables SSL filtering for Firefox
- Changed AG certificate generation algorithm (you may need to reinstall it to Firefox after update or to simply reboot the computer)
- Improved SSL filter, fixed FREAK vulnerability
- Fixed some minor SSL filtering bugs
- Several sites added to default SSL exclusions
- Fixed compatibility issue with latest Bitdefender version and Adguard WFP driver
- Filtering speed has been slightly improved
- Fixed Lunascape browser support
- Minor UI fixes
You can discuss the latest version in our blog: here.
- Parental Control is now available for any license type including Standard and Bonus
- Fixed QUIC protocol filtering (that's a critical bug, sometimes we failed to filter Youtube because of it)
- Added filter rules validation. Now Adguard ignores rules with syntax mistakes
- Added Vivaldi browser support
- Added support of userscripts custom menu items (GM_registerMenuCommand function). Press Shift+Alt+M to bring up list of registered menu items (if any). Examples of userscripts with their custom menu items: Youtube Center, AdsBypasser, Anti-Adblock Killer
- Added TLS v1.2 support
- Improved userscripts API
- Fixed work of several userscripts: AdsBypasser, Mouseover Popup Image Viewer, Context Menu Example (Firefox only), File Hosting Download Manager Disabler
- Fixed compatibility issue with Home Media Server, Geforce Experience, Asus Control Center
- Fixed incompatibility with ZenMate
- Fixed a bug with short-living keep-alive connections in proxy mode
- Fixed dependence on injections.adguard.com domain availability
- Fixed Adguard's network driver vulnerability
You can discuss this version in our blog.
- Fixed a bug with random SSL exclusions
- Fixed a bug with some URL filtering rules
- Fixed a bug with Adguard browser extension integration (in case if filtering is temporary disabled by Adguard Assistant)
- Added 2 domains to default SSL exclusions: eff.org and 8pecxstudios.com
- Fixed a bug with SSL filtering in case if website use DES-CBC3-SHA cipher
- Minor bugfixes
- New version of Adguard network drivers
- Added Maxthon Nitro support
- Added support for Regexp-rules
- Added new API GreaseMonkey functions for better userscripts support
- Fixed an issue with a long delay when adding rules by Assistant
- Now, even when the Parental Control sensitivity level is disabled, black and white lists continue to work
- Fixed program crashes when working with tray
- When using TDI driver Teredo is no longer disabled
- Fixed bug reports in IE8
- Fixed several localization bugs
- Parental control now blocks access to unsafe sites even when the sensitivity level is disabled
- Improved ad filtering
- New Adguard webpages style (pages you see when request is blocked by Browsing Security or Parental Control)
- Fixed tray menu position on PC with two displays
- Fixed extensions work on websites using custom ports
Short list of important changes: greatly reduced memory usage, we introduced convenient addition of new ad filters, integration with WoT is now a separate extension, added support for new browsers, fixed conflicts with popular programs and defects in the processing of requests and more.
Memory usage reduction
We have significantly optimized memory usage in 5.10. Now, even if you use an old computer or a weak netbook, Adguard will work silently in a background without slowing down your device. We compared memory footprint with the one of the preceding version. And we must say 5.10 showed a result several times lower.
More ad filters
In addition, Adguard has became an even more comprehensive program. Now users can install any ad filters. What does it mean? In addition to the filters that are already installed in Adguard by default, you can add third-party ones, such as a list of filters that allow Adguard to block ads in different segments of the Internet - websites in different languages, in particular. All of this can be done directly in the program, simply by selecting a filter you want and clicking on the "Add selected" button.
Displaying the possible danger
Integration with Web of Trust is now brought out in the separate extension, which can be disabled. Also a warning when visiting a suspicious website has changed. With the help of WoT, our Adguard is able to notify you instantly about the reputation of websites and show the reasons for which the site is considered to be suspicious. "Categories of suspicion" can be, in particular: scam, potentially illegal, misleading claims or unethical, poor customer experience, privacy risks and others.
Other changes in version 5.10:
- Added support for CSS injection rules. It gives us more flexible options for high-quality elements blocking.
- Ability to edit the source code of userscripts. Now you can customize any script you like, you can find more about what it is and how to install it here.
- Updates are checked only for the enabled userscripts.Thus we update only those scripts that you actually use. Why spend the extra traffic?
- Extensions that do not use external resources are returned to the "default." Now you have the opportunity to reset the extensions and return websites to their original state.
- Added a configuration of exceptions for secure (HTTPS) sites filtering. Adding https websites to exceptions in order for Adguard to not filter it, used to be impossible.
- Increased time of filter updates up to 12 hours. Yeah, longer but of better quality.
- Speeded up the work of extensions (including Youtube Center). Userscripts do not slow down websites now.
Fixed in new version:
- Fixed conflicts with Visual Studio, Tor Browser, Keepass.
- Fixed slow loading of large js files.
- Assistant no longer interferes in work of RequireJs websites.
- Updated network drivers, fixed some small remarks.
- Fixed a defect with the processing of HTTP DELETE requests.
- Fixed work of Twitch Chat Filter userscript.
- Fixed a bug when using proxy authorization.
- Fixed compatibility error of vk.com and Parental Control.
- Fixed a defect with disabling Adguard assistant via the context menu.
- Fixed some minor defects of Adguard assistant.
- Speeded up filtering of some pages (fixed problem with octane-benchmark.googlecode.com).
- Fixed API for usercripts (thanks to YoutubeCenter developer, Jeppe Rune Mortensen).
- Fixed rules with the "~third-party" modifier.
- New versions of TDI and WFP drivers. Fixed some compatibility issues.
- Minor changes to the texts in the user interface.
Version 5.9 brings a large number of changes to Adguard.
In version 5.9, there is an opportunity to install extensions (userscripts). They are designed to extend the functionality of websites. How exactly will the functionality be extended depends on the particular userscript. This can be a pop-up blocking, blocking of flash requests, possibility to download music and video from social networks and much more.
You can learn more from this post in our blog.
Improved video ads blocking
In this version, Adguard learned to recognize most of the video ads on its own without relying on filter databases.
During the existence of the program, we have received many requests from our users about implementing the "Parental Control" in it. Many parents found Adguard helpful, because when using it the child didn’t see inappropriate advertising.
Finally, in the version 5.9 we are ready to introduce “Parental Control” - a separate module of the program.
You can learn more from this article.
Fixed and improved in this version
- Fixed a problem with high load on the CPU and memory consumption when downloading large files
- Fixed a problem with the occasional lack of HTTPS-connections filtering in Firefox and Opera
- Fixed a problem with high load on the CPU and disk on system startup
- Optimized and speeded up the work of Adguard Assistant
- Added support for rocket-script filtering
- Fixed Adguard compatibility issue with Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 for Windows 8.1 x64
+ Improved initial setup wizard
+ Added "useful ads" filter
+ Tor browser support
What has been improved or fixed in version 5.8:
* Protection level setting is removed
* Fixed some minor compatibility issues
* Improved filtered pages source code readability
+ A more perfect way for filtration with a new network driver
Adguard now uses a network driver instead of an old filtering module.
This helped us greatly with fixing all existing compatibility issues with other software products.
In addition, it accelerates filtration and allows Adguard to filter secure connections.
+ The following compatibility issues have been fixed in Adguard 5.7:
Internet Download Manager (video downloading issues)
DrWeb (proper filtration was dependent on the installation order)
Panda Antivirus (filtration was not possible)
+ Added support for secure connections filtration (https connections)
Now Adguard can filter secured connections if you enable it in the network settings.
+ Added first run wizard
What has been improved or fixed in version 5.7:
* Fixed "Connection error" that occurred if the Adguard windows service started too slow
* Fixed Google Chrome filtration issues
* Fixed some Adguard Assistant issues
* GUI performance and responsiveness to user actions have been improved
* Fixed icon for Pale Moon in the browsers settings
+ Completely new Adguard Assistant module
+ Automatic program updates
+ Adguard is divided into windows-service and GUI-client
+ Web Of Trust integration – know which websites to trust
+ Improved browsing security module
+ New filtration module for Windows 8 Modern UI applications
- Some websites rendering problems
- Slow browsing security module updates
+ QT Web browser support
+ Sleipnir browser support
+ Extended logging
+ Filtration is enabled on big range of ports (not only 80)
+ In proxy mode Adguard automatically set system settings
* Problem with no filtration of some ports
* Conflict with ESET ssl filtration
* Errors with HTTPS websites in Opera browser
* Problem with Opera's periodical slowdown
* Opera Link problem
* Some problems with flash games
* Maxthon favourites synchronization problem
* Errors that occurred while loading some pages
* Some minor fixes
+ Completely resolved the filtration speed issues
+ Simple SSL-traffic filtering
+ New network filtering algorythm
+ Extended filter rules
+ Waterfox browser support
- Fixed the problem with the synchronization of bookmarks in Maxthon with an active protection
- Fixed displaying issues with some of the web-sites: wix.com, pandawill.com, rakill.daportfolio.com & etc
- Small bugfixes and optimizations
+ Automatic detection of the suitable filters
+ Japanese language and filter
+ German language and filter
+ Spanish language and filter
+ Portuguese language and filter
+ Dutch filter
* Problem with very slow first request (just after Adguard has been started)
* Increased filtration speed
* Minor bug fixes
+ A completely reworked user interface with multilingual support
+ Added an experimental filter based on Collective Intelligence, a system that continuously collects and analyzes submissions from the community of Adguard users around the world
+ Now supports even more browsers: Palemoon, Nichrome, Yandex.Internet
+ Added ability to save user settings on uninstall
+ Added German filter
+ Added Windows 8 support
+ Ad Blocker and Browsing Security modules now keep their states between restarts
+ Users are now able to report false positive alarms in support section
+ The official site has moved to http://adguard.com/
* Improved the filtration speed
* Fixed critical flaws of the previous version
* Fixed compatibility problems with third parties software
* Fixed behavior of the “Skip” button in the messages about the new versions
* Fixed encoding errors on some websites
* Fixed positioning problems for the cases when system’s font is increased
* Minor bug fixes
* Web pages loading speed
* Filters updating speed
New features of Adguard assistant:
* Can block almost any element selected on the webpage (in all modern browsers)
* Fixed some minor bugs
* Add new function: "Undo last added rule"
* Handling redirects and cached responses
* Storing phishing and malware data, db is much smaller now
* Problem with determining web page encoding when HTML is invalid
* Problem with parsing some scripts
* Minor UI fixes
+ Phishing and malware protection. Includes multiple filters:
+ Adguard phishing and malware filters
+ Google Safe Browsing phishing and malware filters
+ 64-bit browsers support
+ Improved traffic filtering
+ Improved edit subscriptions dialog
* Problem with CSS-rules in Internet Explorer 9
* Some problems with adguard assistant in Opera and Internet Explorer
* Problem with adding empty rule to "My Filter"
* Some minor UI fixes
+ Multi-user environment support
+ Checkbox for enabling/disabling My Filter rules
+ "Ignore this version" button in update dialog
+ Possibility to send system diagnostics report to our support service
* Problems with several flash games and applications
* Improved support section of the program
* Problems with encoding of depositfiles.com in Firefox
* Minor fixes in html parser
+ Filters subscription mechanism
+ Added "Advanced settings" section
+ "Reset key" button
* Speeded up application startup
* Some "Adguard assistant" bugs
* Some popup blocker bugs
* Fixed problem with using local proxy servers
+ Mozilla Firefox 4 Beta support
+ New filter rule wizard
+ MyIE browser support
+ Possibility to reset statistics (from the context menu)
+ Possibility to reset license key
+ Optimized "Support" section of Adguard window
* Minor UI fixes
* Minor parser fixes
+ Orca browser support
* Working through SSL in case of using external proxy server
* Some minor fixes
+ Export and import of the user filter
* Problem with Opera with enabled Expect100Continue configuration setting
* Uploading of big files
* Optimized "Log" section work
* Some minor fixes
* Problems with POST http requests
+ "Adguard assistant" allowing user to add complex filter rules
+ Optimized filtration speed
+ Added support of five browsers: Flock, SRWare Iron, Lunascape, K-Meleon, GreenBrowser
+ Optimized HTML filtration rules
+ New options for exception rules
+ Added "Connection: keep-alive" http header support
+ Added bandwith saved counter
+ Added tooltips for Adguard window elements
* Problems in Adguard work in case of serveral users
* Problems with chats (continious iframe)
* Optimized filter rules for blocking social networks widgets and spyware
* Problems with NTLM authorization
+ Blocking social networks widgets and spyware
+ New options for filtering HTML content
* Problem with Windows Media Player browser plugin
* Problem with loading images in Internet Explorer
+ "Filters" section. Enabling/disabling of the standard filter.
+ Possibility to create your own filter rules
+ "Log" section
+ Optimized filtration speed
+ Blocking banners of standard sizes
+ Program files are signed with code certificate
* Problem with using online radio
* Problem with applications on the facebook.com
* Problem with Adguard application in case of sereral Windows users
* Problem with opening several sites in Opera browser
+ Adguard filtration speed up
* Problem with uploading big files
* Problem with bing.com
* Error with deposifiles.com in Mozilla Firefox
+ Adguard is now automatically activated after purchasing the license key (you just need to restart it)
* problem with Internet Explorer
* problem with UAC in Vista/7
* problem with working through proxy server
* error rendering sitez compressed with x-gzip in Opera
+ program rendering speed up
+ feedback form on the "Protection" section of Adguard
New attractive design. Better filters database.
Added two new blocking methods:
* Element hiding
* Filtering HTML content on the fly
Computer does not need to be restarted after