In the anticipation of the AdGuard for Mac v2.0 big update (which is coming at the beginning of the 2019 and will have loads of new features), we really want to acquaint as many people with it as possible. And the biggest driving factor here is, of course, the ability to use the product in your native language. It was nothing but unfair that we deprived our French, Danish and Norwegian-speaking users of that opportunity. We apologize and add respective localizations to AdGuard for Mac for you to enjoy. See you next year with AG for Mac v2.0!
- [Changed] Localizations has been added #322
A small update for v1.5. We have temporarily disabled support for the dark theme on Mojave OS for version 1.5 since we were focused on the technical part of the development for the new version 2.0. In the upcoming major v2.0 update big changes are expected, but as for now:
No new stunning features this time, the release is mostly about bugfixes. But they are important ones, you'll appreciate them if you were unlucky enough to come across one of the fixed issues. Oh, and we have added Japanese localization — we know there are quite a few Japanese users out there!
- [Fixed] Browser connections are blocked in certain circumstances #306
- [Fixed] TCP FastOpen incompatibility #309
- [Fixed] Compatibility with Boxcryptor #310
- [Fixed] High CPU usage due to a sync XHR request made by Assistant#315
It’s been a while since the last AdGuard for Mac release, so we owed one to our Mac users. This release is small but impactful — or at least we hope so. Some important bugfixes and key improvements have been done, all aimed at achieving better stability and filtering quality.
[Fixed] Sometimes connections can randomly slip past AdGuard #285
The title pretty much explains it. We’ve received several complaints from users about some websites not being filtered (even big ones like youtube.com). Without diving into technical details, we managed to fix it.
[Fixed] Crash in `tcpClosed` handler while the laptop is sleeping #295
Another bug that doesn’t really require any further explanation, but is serious enough to justify mentioning. In case you encountered this frustrating behavior — rejoice! The bug is fixed in this version.
[Improved] ExtendedCss has been updated to version 1.10 #293
This effectively means more extended cosmetic rules are supported now. Which, in its turn, ensures “cleaner” look of the post-processed pages (no ad leftovers, empty spaces etc.).
- [Fixed] Certain traffics gets corrupted #172
- [Fixed] Dropping TCP connections leads to kernel panics after `nfext` unloading #276
- [Fixed] AdGuard does not filter traffic when TunnelBear extension is enabled #286
- [Fixed] Protection status UI bug #304
- [Improved] AdGuard UI files have been altered to use modern approach in localization #273
We are on the verge of the year 2018, and what is a better time to release a new AdGuard for Mac version? :)
As you will see with this update, a lot of major changes here relate to UI convenience and better user experience — in particular, filter subscription by URL deserves a separate mention. Ad blocking quality has been increased too, several bugs have been eliminated.
[Added] Filter subscription by URL #1
It’s become much more convenient now to add new filter subscriptions since you have a choice between uploading a local file or entering a URL.
[Improved] Close active connections when network filtering starts #263Translating to a more common language, this means that no connections will slip by AdGuard’s protection when you turn it on. A real life example: many Safari users used to have problems with unblocked ads on YouTube. This change fixes it.
- [Added] `$~websocket` modifier support #245
- [Added] "Brave" browser to the filtered apps list #246
- [Added] Mozilla Developer Edition to the filtered apps list #241
- [Fixed] Can't log in to icloud.com #242
- [Fixed] AdGuard blocks notifications on Yandex mail in a browser tab #256
- [Fixed] "Reinstall certificate" does not work in FF #257
- [Fixed] Some websites open slowly with AdGuard #247
- [Fixed] Some websites are not accessible with the HTTPS filtering enabled #249
[Added] "Undo/Redo" buttons to the user filter editor #227Self-explanatory. Working with filter editor has become so much more convenient — trust us, we do it a lot, and we can tell the difference!
[Improved] Filter editor now indicates that the filter contains disabled rules #258Another quality of life improvement. You won’t now find yourself in situations when something is not working because you’ve disabled a couple of rules, but can’t remember in what filter.
- [Added] Inform the user about closed connection to a website with EV certificate #228
- [Fixed] Applied settings are not displayed correctly when the language filters are activated automatically #233
- [Fixed] No first run wizard when installing on High Sierra #244
- [Fixed] Title of the window appears on `wizard` style windows on MacOS 10.13 #255
It has been a very long time since the last AdGuard for Mac release. We definitely don't want such hiatus to become a routine – expect the next one much sooner.
And in this one we've made some positive changes to the UI and improved the filtering quality by a lot. Read the full changelog below.
- [Added] $network basic rules modifier #171
- [Changed] The ~third-party modifier behavior #177
- [Fixed] Content filtering exception rules #176
- [Fixed] Error while parsing a wide filtering rule #175
- [Fixed] Replace rules aren't applied to .m3u8 files content #178
- [Fixed] Regular expressions with $ aren't processed properly #167
- [Fixed] Content rules are applied even when there is a $document exception #234
- [Fixed[ The script is being removed/cut if there is an $empty modifier in the rule #209
- [Fixed] Cosmetic filters are being applied to pages whitelisted by a $document exception #189
- [Improved] The range of $$ rules has been increased #196
- [Improved] "ExtendedCss" module has been upgraded to v1.0.8 #216
- [Improved] The trimming limit for request URLs has been increased #214
- [Improved] The $network modifier has been extended, it can now be an exception as well #190
[Fixed] AdGuard doesn't filter apps from the WebCatalog app #165Previously, AdGuard wasn’t able to filter apps installed with WebCatalog, and they couldn’t even be added to the list of filtered apps manually. This issue gets fixed in this version.
- [Fixed] Wrong cyphers order #224
- [Fixed] SHA-1 intermediate issue #194
- [Fixed] AdGuard cannot handle huge chunks properly #218
- [Fixed] Connection is allowed when DH1024 is in use #186
- [Fixed] "strict-dynamic" CSP is not handled properly #203
- [Fixed] AdGuard Crashes when receives new metadata from backend #220
- [Fixed] There is an empty response from local.adguard.com in some cases when HTTPS is used #206
- [Fixed] Several network errors and compatibility issues
[Added] An option to exclude websites with EV certificates from filtering #170
An option already familiar to Windows users. Some websites feature Extended Validation (EV) SSL certificates, which require a very strict verification process and offer a stronger guarantee that the website is plausible and trusted. Usually, they are bank websites, payment systems etc., and they normally do not have many ads anyway, if any.
- [Added] Add "Reset settings..." option #180
- [Changed] "System Extension Blocked" issue on macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) #217
- [Changed] Filters' names have been adjusted #187
- [Changed] AdGuard to AdGuard #231
- [Fixed] Wrong date of establishment in "About AdGuard" section #205
- [Fixed] Several localization fixes and updates
- [Fixed] The 'expiring trial' warning translation #169
- [Fixed] The number of remaining subscription days is not displayed in AdGuard toolbar #191
- [Fixed] UF is always turned on after restarting the app #237
- [Fixed] Interface bug with filters list #236
- [Fixed] Misplaced title in Support window #235
[Improved] Filter editor has been reworked #56
Now it has become possible to enter the 'advanced editing mode'. Basically, it means that the User filter turns into a single text area which you can work with as in any text editor: copy/paste several lines at once and apply all changes at once and not line by line. The search tool will help you to find or replace anything you need. All in all, it should be a welcome change for all the aspiring filter developers.
- [Changed] The SSL exceptions list has been updated
- [Fixed] Yandex mail compatibility issue #160
[Improved] AdGuard can now be launched from an external drive #210
A niche but useful improvement. In case you prefer to store your data on an external drive and switch between different desktops a lot. No need to update your user filter and other settings separately on every Mac separately anymore, just have AdGuard installed on an external drive.
IMPORTANT UPDATE: compatibility with Chrome 59 and newer. The changes are few, but crucial.
[Fixed] local.adguard.com certificate is considered invalid by Chrome v59 #183
It may not seem like much, but without this change, Adguard would be partially incompatible with the newest Chrome versions. Needless to say, Chrome is one of the most popular browsers among Mac users, so it is hard to overstate the importance of this fix.
- [Changed] Bundle ID for Waterfox app #164
The Christmas came early this year for Adguard for Mac users - a new version comes out today :) It significantly improves ad blocking, namely introducing Extended CSS support and several new modifiers. Networking and UI have undergone some fixing and tweaking too, so Adguard will become more stable and easy in use.
- [Added] Extended CSS support #109, #120
This is a very important addition in terms of future (and present) possibilities that it opens for ad blocking. Extended CSS is a module for applying CSS styles with extended selection properties. Basically, it means that we will be able to select and, therefore, block some elements that we would not be able to block otherwise. Notably, this concerns such things as 'Sponsored posts' on Facebook.
- [Added] $important modifier #132
This new addition is an significant one, but mostly relevant for creators of custom filter rules. With it's help you can give certain rules higher priority.
- [Added] $websocket modifier #131
- [Changed] Updated default HTTPS exclusions list #124
- [Fixed] $empty modifier behaviour #108, #143
- [Fixed] Latin extended symbol in a filter rule interferes with filtering #134
- [Fixed] $replace rule can't be applied along with the other rules #133
- [Changed] HTTPS is now used for safebrowsing requests #148
- [Changed] WoSign and StartCom certificates are now distrusted #141
- [Changed] New separate server is used now for filter updates #139
- [Fixed] $replace rules break content charset #147
- [Fixed] Adguard compatibility with Opera built-in VPN #123, #130
- [Fixed] Kernel panic issue #106
- [Fixed] Adguard blocks the page from loading if /etc/hosts has incorrect records #111
- [Fixed] Inability to apply inline style #142
- [Fixed] Excessive CPU load #135
- [Fixed] Safebrowsing check algorithm #148
- [Fixed] Unknown pseudo class error #154
- [Improved] Content injection algorithm #119
- [Improved] Adguard styles are now protected from removal #149
- [Added] Hotkeys for filters management #9, #128
- [Changed] CMD+Backspace key combination can now be used to delete filters from the filter list #9
- [Changed] "Check filter updates" action moved to settings menu #116
- [Fixed] Incorrect filter is displayed in "Filtering Log" #129
- [Fixed] $replace rules are displayed correctly in the filtering log #150
- [Improved] Allowed pasting mulitple rules at once in filter area #126
Hello! Last Adguard for Mac version was released in February, so we felt a bit guilty and decided to release a new one :) There is quite a bit of various fixes and changes here, as you can see in the changelog below, but the most important, or rather the most impactful ones, are those that affect performance - specifically, we mean #88 and #91 (you can find more detailed description for these changes below). Overall, Adguard will become faster now, and thanks to the better performance, Adguard will now consume significantly less battery resourse. But not only that, for example, we drastically improved browsing of some of the most problematic websites when IPv6 is enabled (#93).
[Improved] Basic filtering rules processing speed was optimized #91
Optimizing basic filtering rules processing is very important since basic rules are the most resourse-consuming among all. This change will result in Adguard working faster and spending less resourses.
- [Changed] $replace rules now have higher priority than other basic rules #49
- [Changed] Origin is used as Referer for requests Referer isn't defined for #84
- [Fixed] Adguard crash because of huge data: URLs #81
- [Fixed] Adguard does not ignore "base" tag "href " attribute while constructing absolute URL any more #80
- [Fixed] Websites can't be broken any more because of invalid HTML inside a "noscript" tag #79
- [Fixed] Error previously occuring when parsing a style tag with embedded svg #76
- [Fixed] Adguard can now detect HTML if there is an xml declaration at the document start #83
- [Fixed] Wrong HTML content detection #71
- [Fixed] twitch.tv filtering issue #105
- [Improved] Increase content filtering rules maximum length limit #101
[Changed] Connections are not kept alive for too long now if 'HTTP keep alive' timeout is specified #88
Previously the 'keep-alive' time for connections was higher, and Adguard consumed more battery resourse than it should. Now, when we lowered the connections 'keep-alive' time, the resourse consumption during the 'idle time' will be significantly lower as well.
- [Changed] Webdav methods are supported now (specifically REPORT) #85
- [Changed] Rewritten mechanism of checking the websites availability #93
- [Fixed] After blocking a POST request, next request is read only when data was read to end #68
- [Fixed] Adguard prevents UDP traffic on 443 port #90
- [Fixed] Adguard fails to detect HTML on some websites #100
[Added] A notification that is shown if user unchecks the "Filter https protocol" box #65
Languages and Translations
[Added] Finnish language #63
- [Added] Support for complex language codes #78
- [Changed] Increase idle connection timeout to 10 minutes #102
- [Fixed] Problem with Adguard start after motherboard replacement #77
- [Fixed] Wrong information in Adguard's filtering log #75
- [Fixed] Added description of the status code in filtered HTTP response #74
- [Fixed] Spelling issue #73
- [Fixed] Occasional app crash when user attempts to view Adguard Program Log #66
- [Fixed] Apps crash #67
- [Fixed] Adguards code is no more injected into noscript tag #64
- [Fixed] Major battery resourse consumption on Mac #52
This new version brings a lot of very important changes to Adguard for Mac. Most viable changes are: $replace modifier and security improvements.
- [Added] New localizations: Serbian (Latin), German, Italian, Spanish, Chinese Traditional, Armenian, Turkish, Korean, Indonesian, Hungarian. #50
- [Added] User warnings in case HTTP proxy mode fails to start. #22
- [Changed] Assistant requests are now excluded from 'Filtering log'. #4
- [Changed] Now clicking on Adguard icon in status bar brings opened Adguard windows to front and makes them active. #33
- [Fixed] Error previously led to inability to change HTTP proxy port with HTTP proxy mode enabled. #42
- [Fixed] Lack of explanation text in the 'Enter email address' text field. #44
- [Added] $genericblock rule modifier. #16
- [Added] $generichide rule modifier. #15
- [Added] $replace modifier for basic rules #38
- [Changed] Now $popup rules modifier is also applied to server redirect responses. #49
- [Changed] Now status 500 is always returned for blocked requests. #35
- [Changed] User filter is now loaded last, after all other filters are loaded. #41
- [Fixed] Error in css-inject rules. #7
- [Fixed] Error in finding the elements path on a page for HTML filtering rules. #17
- [Fixed] Error in HTML filtering rules – previously empty elements were never removed. #29
- [Fixed] Improved processing of rules with $popup modifier. #25
- [Fixed] Modifiers for the whitelist rules now work while filtering content. #57
- [Fixed] Now $elemhide rule modifier is applied only to HTML pages. #14
- [Fixed] Problem with basic rules being treated as rules with $popup modifier. #34
- [Fixed] Template modifier * in rules now takes into account line break symbols. #40
- [Fixed] Third-party requests filtering error. #6
- [Changed] Adguard automatically stops filtering of the websites with client certificate authorization. #2
- [Changed] Browser cache is now suppressed for a short period of time after filtering startup. #53
- [Changed] For all modern browsers SHA1 certificates were deprecated. #46
- [Changed] Port Adguard accepts connections on. #5
- [Changed] Updated default list of SSL exceptions. #3
- [Fixed] Problem when Adguard caused browser to freeze. #37
- [Changed] A method of domain check with Browsing Security module. Requests privacy was improved. #8
- [Improved] Compatibility with sites that use the Content-Security-Policy mechanism. #58
- [Fixed] Blocking of Google Chrome Rapportive extension for Gmail. #30
- [Fixed] Problem when Adguard extension for Google Chrome couldn't see triggered $genericblock rules. Integration mode works correctly now. #39
- [Fixed] Safari inability to connect to some websites with IPv6 network configuration. #10
- Added function to send a report in case of an unexpected Adguard shutdown.
- Added tutorial screen at Adguard first launch.
- Added OCSP Stapling support.
- Added localizations: Chinese (Simplified), Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Slovak, Korean.
- Changed SSL connections encrypting mode to a more modern one.
- Improved root certificate and private key generation for SSL connections.
- Fixed Logjam vulnerability (now Adguard doesn't filter connections with weak keys).
- Improved mechanism of SSL connections processing.
- Significantly extended list of browsers filtered by default.
- Now, in case of its absence, Adguard automatically suggests to install root certificate into Firefox to filter HTTPS-websites.
- Improved way of root certificate installation into Mozilla-based browsers.
- Improved security of installing Adguard Assistant to web pages.
- Improved Adguard API extensions security.
- Confined access to userscripts API functions.
- Reworked installation process, now Adguard will work correctly after restoring Mac from Time Machine.
- Improved filtering rules correctness verification.
- Now Adguard system components are stored in the folder shared for all users.
- Now upon switching Mac to sleep mode, Adguard closes current network connections.
- Fixed situation when Adguard won't respond to users actions while watching a video on YouTube.
- Fixed error previously led to Adguard crash while surfing a website with incorrect HTML.
- Fixed an error previously led to rules with specific symbols being excluded from filtering process.
- Fixed an error previously led to shutdown when exiting Adguard.
- Added TLSv1.2 support.
- Added certificate verification in HTTPS connections.
- Added Ukrainian localization.
- Chromium added to default application filtering list.
- Now automatic check for updates is enabled by default.
- Improved speed optimization.
- Removed splashscreen upon starting Adguard.
- Fixed Adguard's work with several users on the same computer.
- Fixed errors leading to incorrect filtering.
- Fixed the error when Adguard operated incorrectly upon exiting sleep mode.
- Improved security upon filtering encrypted traffic.
- Fixed FREAK vulnerability.
- Fixed memory leaks.
- Improved program stability on old versions of OS X.
- Fixed several errors that could previously lead to app crash.