As they say, you can't have a good release without a hotfix. Or maybe they don't say that, but we sure need one.
In this update, we fix a particularly nasty bug that causes high CPU load because of some filtering rules.
Among important changes is a fix to the Assistant "block" button issue and a new "Save filtering log" feature that will come handy for filter developers and in some cases of troubleshooting via support.
- [Added] An option to save Filtering Log when reloading the page #1074
- [Fixed] AdGuard 2.10.8 extension for Edge blocks Spotify web player playback #1090
- [Fixed] Assistant preview doesn't close #1083
- [Fixed] The Norwegian translation implementation is broken #1085
- [Fixed] When using Edge dev console, JS error occurs in extended-css.js #1086
- [Fixed] Сosmetic filters stop working after refresh of a page cached by a ServiceWorker #1087
- [Fixed] AdGuard "send statistics" crashes google sheets when option turned on #1096
This update adds several minor-ish (although filter enthusiasts will argue) features to the Filtering Log and improves ad blocking quality. You'll find an array of bug fixes, as usual.
[Added] Element hiding rules highlighting #1053
Applied element hiding rules are now highlighted with yellow color in the Filtering Log. This will greatly help parse log entries. We don't need to prove it to you if you are actively using it :)
[Added] Wildcard character support in rules with domain modifier #571
Again, another treat for filtering rules creators. Previously you had to list domains old-fashioned way: example.com,example.eu etc, and now you can simply use example.* syntax.
[Improved] Scripts are injected faster #1029
To efficiently block ads on the page we need a way to reliably inject our scripts before the in-page scripts are executed. A set of measures has been taken to ensure this. While there is still no 100% guarantee, the success chance has increased considerably — along with ad blocking quality.
- [Added] "Public suffix list" automatic update #1010
- [Added] Display applied element hiding and CSS rules in Filtering log #830
- [Added] "Filter" column to the Filtering log #863
- [Added] Pre-processor directives for filters #917
- [Fixed] Error in event handler for `webRequest.onBeforeRequest` #1015
- [Fixed] Unnecessary "Cannot create rule from filter" error entries in the browser console while in integration mode #1016
- [Fixed] Whitelist is not applied for requests sent from within a service worker #1032
- [Fixed] Wrong filters sort order #1028
- [Fixed] Text box is not editable in the "Block element" window #331
- [Fixed] Incorrect layout for filter name #1050
- [Fixed] High CPU usage because of searching hidden elements #1067
- [Fixed] Underscore character is not displayed on Linux #393
- [Fixed] Some Extended CSS rules are not working because of regex issues in content attribute #1079
- [Fixed] Rules containing content substring are not working correctly while Filtering log window is open #1080
- [Improved] Browser extension build process has been optimized #991
- [Improved] Filters-downloader module has been upgraded to v1.0.5 #1051
- [Fixed] Some sites are broken by `$$` rules in Firefox Quantum #1001
- [Fixed] Element hiding rules don't work in frames by playbuzz #1046
- [Fixed] JS rules don't work on xda-developers.com #1004
- [Fixed] Ineffective browser.storage issue #1006
- [Fixed] `$replace` rule does not get applied #1038
- [Fixed] FF for Android: If you click on "AdGuard settings" nothing happens #1034
- [Fixed] WebSocket requests are not visible #1014
- [Fixed] "Activate the most appropriate filters automatically" doesn't work #997
Ho Ho Ho! Just kidding, it is not Christmas, but it might have very well been — isn’t every AdGuard Browser Extension release a special day for you? For us, it certainly is 🙂 This time we prepared a couple or two of quite important changes and improvements, to come along with a long list of more routine-ish fixes. Read on to find out the details.
[Added] Integration with the new Assistant #956
For a while now we develop AdGuard Assistant more or less independently, to later use it wherever we need — Windows and Mac apps use regular Assistant, Android and iOS apps use mobile version. Browser extension users encounter Assistant when they click "Block ads on this website" button. We will not go into the details here, those who interested can find the exhaustive changelog inside the Assistant repo.
[Improved] `InsertCSS` to use instead of the content scripts #847
There was a certain change in Chrome browser recently, that prompted us to respond by reconsidering the way we inject scripts and styles. The good thing is, thanks to this change we now have less bugs, more possibilities and were even able to make the extension more lightweight by reducing the amount of code.
[Improved] ExtendedCss has been updated to v1.10 #980
This change is on the technical side, but from the end user perspective it converts into better performance and better quality ad blocking, thanks to more tools being available to the extension now.
- [Fixed] HTML filtering rule does not work on example.org #948
- [Fixed] The issues with content filtering rules in Firefox #959
- [Fixed] Assistant crashes in Safari #974
- [Fixed] Wrong URL blocking rule behavior on iOS #957
- [Fixed] Styles are applied twice in the Safari extension #979
- [Fixed] Safari content blocker converter fails if we pass it an invalid rule #945
- [Improved] SafariContentBlockerConverter memory usage #955
- [Fixed] Wrong filter names language #889
- [Fixed] Some regex rules don't work #978
- [Fixed] Can't build the extension with Maven 3.5.2 #946
- [Fixed] Assistant menu doesn't save its position on pages #973
- [Fixed] Assistant does't block in 'Preview' mode #975
- [Fixed] Element hiding exclusion can't be applied to iframe #934
- [Fixed] Filters are not getting updated after the clean install #981
- [Fixed] Assistant dialog default position is different from where it should be #976
- [Fixed] AdGuard extension for Yandex Browser prevents downloading of .pdf files on vk.com #897
- [Fixed] Rules proposed by AdGuard for "content-security-policy-check" are incorrect #941
- [Fixed] Warning Page Appears Twice #995
- [Fixed] Extension can't detect it when you disable filtering in Adguard for Win via Assistant #989
- [Improved] Old links have been replaced with new ones #952
Ad blocking has been enhanced in this version by adding support for several modifiers. We've also integrated the extension with our web reporting tool, details below. As usual, all spotted bugs have been fixed too, this mostly concerns Firefox version.
[Added] Integration with reports.adguard.com #894
A new convenient way to report any issues with websites, be it missed ads, false positives, unblocked social widgets etc. Just head to the problematic website, bring up the context menu and select "Submit a complaint" option. You will be transferred to reports.adguard.com and a wizard will take you through the required steps to report the issue — and most of the fields will be even filled out automatically. Try it!
- [Added] $badfilter modifier support #866
- [Fixed] onet.pl shows anti adblock notice #860
- [Fixed] Errors in the browser console #865
- [Fixed] Blog link in the footer #908
- [Fixed] Double scroll bar in filtering log #907
- [Improved] AdGuard now filters "New tab" windows #881
- [Improved] Styles protection has been enhanced #829
- [Improved] "ExtendedCss" module has been upgraded to v1.0.9 #906
- [Added] $replace and $$ rules partial support #864
- [Fixed] Huge amount of writes by storage.js.temp #892
- [Fixed] Search option misbehaves on news.yandex.ru #872
- [Fixed] Recaptcha is hidden by AdGuard on vk.com #880
- [Fixed] Content filtering rules aren't visible in the filtering log #910
- [Fixed] group.aliexpress.com #924
- [Fixed] "Thank you" page switches don't change the extension settings #929
- [Fixed] AdGuard for Firefox hides iframe with text area on insanelymac.com #922
- [Fixed] Beta 2.8.2 Doesn't save whitelist settings after reboot (Beta 2.8.1 works) #933