Today’s update is something in-between a hotfix and a regular release. It lacks in numbers of changes compared to some other versions, but isn’t a hotfix either as we don’t patch any specific bug. All in all, consider it a quality of life update.
$importantmodifier is now added when creating an exclusion for a rule with
$popupmodifier don’t close popup windows #1519
Your average grocery list is probably longer than this update’s changelog, but don’t let it fool you. We introduce two powerful new tools that are going to serve well to filtering rules creators and will noticeably improve the ad blocking quality.
[Added] Scriptlets support #1366
Scriptlets is a powerful ad blocking instrument. You can say that scriptlet is an internal script (a mini-program) that we install in the extension, and then execute that script with the help of filtering rules. Putting it simply, scriptlets allow us to modify how the code of the web page behaves. As for the practical use, this helps to block anti-ad blockers, for example.
$rewrite modifiers support #1367
They are practically the same modifiers, and they allow to substitute resources. If you are not a custom filtering rules aficionado, don't bother with it. Just know that it is yet another instrument in the hands of filter developers that helps efficiently block ads.
We should mention that both
$rewrite modifiers are still kind of working in test mode, but they are fully operational and you should feel free to use them.
After a series of hasty hotfixes we are happy to finally do a full-scale release. It may be not the biggest AdGuard browser extension release of all times, but it’s something. Inside you will find some small-ish changes and of course more bug fixes! This time, they were not so urgent, though.
$badfiltercollection passed to ReplaceFilter #1340
$stealthmodifier does not work in some cases #1342
BODYtag is ignored in the rules constructor in developer tools #1301
abp:subscribe- type links in the iframe #1357
Turned out, we overlooked a couple of minor bugs and inconsistencies in the previous hotfix. Here's a quick fix to set things right.
[Fixed] Statistics flushed after browser restart (randomly) #1341
[Fixed] ExtCss DOM observer fails in Edge due to a "Syntax error" #1330
[Fixed] Extension doesn't search for other rules if first found rule matched with
badfilter rule #1328
[Fixed] User filter editor is often stuck in "Saving" state #1316
[Fixed] AdGuard extension does not properly show on Chrome 56 (winXP) #1315
[Fixed] AdGuard extension doesn't work in UC browser #1318
[Fixed] ExtendedCss recursively calls MutationObserver #1317
As they say, you can't have a good release without a hotfix. Or maybe they don't say that, but we sure need one.
In this update, we fix a particularly nasty bug that causes high CPU load because of some filtering rules.
Among important changes is a fix to the Assistant "block" button issue and a new "Save filtering log" feature that will come handy for filter developers and in some cases of troubleshooting via support.
This update adds several minor-ish (although filter enthusiasts will argue) features to the Filtering Log and improves ad blocking quality. You'll find an array of bug fixes, as usual.
[Added] Element hiding rules highlighting #1053
Applied element hiding rules are now highlighted with yellow color in the Filtering Log. This will greatly help parse log entries. We don't need to prove it to you if you are actively using it :)
[Added] Wildcard character support in rules with domain modifier #571
Again, another treat for filtering rules creators. Previously you had to list domains old-fashioned way: example.com,example.eu etc, and now you can simply use example.* syntax.
[Improved] Scripts are injected faster #1029
To efficiently block ads on the page we need a way to reliably inject our scripts before the in-page scripts are executed. A set of measures has been taken to ensure this. While there is still no 100% guarantee, the success chance has increased considerably — along with ad blocking quality.
Ho Ho Ho! Just kidding, it is not Christmas, but it might have very well been — isn’t every AdGuard Browser Extension release a special day for you? For us, it certainly is 🙂 This time we prepared a couple or two of quite important changes and improvements, to come along with a long list of more routine-ish fixes. Read on to find out the details.
[Added] Integration with the new Assistant #956
For a while now we develop AdGuard Assistant more or less independently, to later use it wherever we need — Windows and Mac apps use regular Assistant, Android and iOS apps use mobile version. Browser extension users encounter Assistant when they click "Block ads on this website" button. We will not go into the details here, those who interested can find the exhaustive changelog inside the Assistant repo.
[Improved] `InsertCSS` to use instead of the content scripts #847
There was a certain change in Chrome browser recently, that prompted us to respond by reconsidering the way we inject scripts and styles. The good thing is, thanks to this change we now have less bugs, more possibilities and were even able to make the extension more lightweight by reducing the amount of code.
[Improved] ExtendedCss has been updated to v1.10 #980
This change is on the technical side, but from the end user perspective it converts into better performance and better quality ad blocking, thanks to more tools being available to the extension now.