Turned out, we overlooked a couple of minor bugs and inconsistencies in the previous hotfix. Here's a quick fix to set things right.
[Fixed] Statistics flushed after browser restart (randomly) #1341
[Fixed] ExtCss DOM observer fails in Edge due to a "Syntax error" #1330
[Fixed] Extension doesn't search for other rules if first found rule matched with
badfilter rule #1328
[Fixed] User filter editor is often stuck in "Saving" state #1316
[Fixed] AdGuard extension does not properly show on Chrome 56 (winXP) #1315
[Fixed] AdGuard extension doesn't work in UC browser #1318
[Fixed] ExtendedCss recursively calls MutationObserver #1317
As they say, you can't have a good release without a hotfix. Or maybe they don't say that, but we sure need one.
In this update, we fix a particularly nasty bug that causes high CPU load because of some filtering rules.
Among important changes is a fix to the Assistant "block" button issue and a new "Save filtering log" feature that will come handy for filter developers and in some cases of troubleshooting via support.
This update adds several minor-ish (although filter enthusiasts will argue) features to the Filtering Log and improves ad blocking quality. You'll find an array of bug fixes, as usual.
[Added] Element hiding rules highlighting #1053
Applied element hiding rules are now highlighted with yellow color in the Filtering Log. This will greatly help parse log entries. We don't need to prove it to you if you are actively using it :)
[Added] Wildcard character support in rules with domain modifier #571
Again, another treat for filtering rules creators. Previously you had to list domains old-fashioned way: example.com,example.eu etc, and now you can simply use example.* syntax.
[Improved] Scripts are injected faster #1029
To efficiently block ads on the page we need a way to reliably inject our scripts before the in-page scripts are executed. A set of measures has been taken to ensure this. While there is still no 100% guarantee, the success chance has increased considerably — along with ad blocking quality.
Ho Ho Ho! Just kidding, it is not Christmas, but it might have very well been — isn’t every AdGuard Browser Extension release a special day for you? For us, it certainly is 🙂 This time we prepared a couple or two of quite important changes and improvements, to come along with a long list of more routine-ish fixes. Read on to find out the details.
[Added] Integration with the new Assistant #956
For a while now we develop AdGuard Assistant more or less independently, to later use it wherever we need — Windows and Mac apps use regular Assistant, Android and iOS apps use mobile version. Browser extension users encounter Assistant when they click "Block ads on this website" button. We will not go into the details here, those who interested can find the exhaustive changelog inside the Assistant repo.
[Improved] `InsertCSS` to use instead of the content scripts #847
There was a certain change in Chrome browser recently, that prompted us to respond by reconsidering the way we inject scripts and styles. The good thing is, thanks to this change we now have less bugs, more possibilities and were even able to make the extension more lightweight by reducing the amount of code.
[Improved] ExtendedCss has been updated to v1.10 #980
This change is on the technical side, but from the end user perspective it converts into better performance and better quality ad blocking, thanks to more tools being available to the extension now.
Ad blocking has been enhanced in this version by adding support for several modifiers. We've also integrated the extension with our web reporting tool, details below. As usual, all spotted bugs have been fixed too, this mostly concerns Firefox version.
[Added] Integration with reports.adguard.com #894
A new convenient way to report any issues with websites, be it missed ads, false positives, unblocked social widgets etc. Just head to the problematic website, bring up the context menu and select "Submit a complaint" option. You will be transferred to reports.adguard.com and a wizard will take you through the required steps to report the issue — and most of the fields will be even filled out automatically. Try it!
A long time has passed since the last release. But we weren't sitting on our hands. We fixed a whole lot of various bugs, so most users will find something positive in this update. This version also contains some sweet additions that will be interesting mostly for rule creators.
[Improved] $important modifier was added to the rule constructor: #626
This one is a rather obvious: when you use the manual blocking tool to create a rule, you can now give this rule a higher priority by ticking the checkbox. The `$important` modifier was available before, but you had to manually add it via the user filter.
[Added] $csp modifier support: #685
This is strictly for the rule creators, as it requires the basic understanding of the Content Security Policy security layer.
This modifier completely changes the rule behaviour. If it is applied to a rule, it will not block the matching request. The response headers are going to be modified instead.
You can find the syntax and examples for `csp` inside the issue.
We had been waiting for this for a long time, it took a lot of time but now the code is much more simple and convenient to work with.
The builds themselves are now available directly on GitHub, all the updates will be stored here. The build names are now more clear and understandable.
All additions, improvements and issues fixed in this release:
There are few notable changes in this release that take place in Firefox version. First of all, FF have finally released the WebExtensions technology which allowed us to completely revamp the extension code. It now greatly resembles the code for Chrome extension, which makes it much easier for further development among other advantages. A lot of other improvements have been done, too.